It's slightly off-topic but...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Genghis.Tron, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I'm getting pretty nervous lately. I have like 2-4 weeks to apply for some scholarships and I have to talk to a professor first and decide pretty much on what I'll be doing my PhD even though he's going in Australia next spring and the other professor with whom he work takes a sabbatical year. Thank god I only have 12 credits to work on this or I'd go batshit crazy.
    Anyone's stressed out already because of school ? :o

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

work out to relieve stress ftw

3. jones21

jones21 Uranium Member

just drop out before you have a stroke

4. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

not really stressed but kinda bummed out here. first 2 years of college were great. lots of partying, drugs, alky, overall a good time. grades sucked(stayed on academic probation the whole time), got fat(really fat), started having health issues, quite my rehab/therapy program.

took the past year off. tried to re-invent and find myself at the same time. went through a huge change. lost almost 80lbs, started exercising daily, started therapy/rehab again, started eating healthy.

now i'm trying to actually get good grades. trying to continue my self transformation. still eating good and exercising daily. just sucks because in order to maintain progress i had to cut out all the shit i had a blast doing my first 2 years. oh well, it'll be worth it in the end.

5. knucks

knucks Active Member

Slightly overwhelmed but I've been trying to keep it under control. I am trying to get better at multi-tasking (being on forums, reading, writing, listening to music)

6. Drewski

Drewski New Member

I'm nervous about my g/f's phd, does that count?

7. Zoomba

Zoomba New Member

Last semester of college, everything is being dumped on me at once. I was hoping to graduate with honours (current GPA is 3.69 out of 4, need 3.60 for honours) but I don't know if that's going to happen.

Also, I have a good chance at a job when I finish (I've already been told I have it, I just need to finish, and hopefully the money is still there and all that). Oh yeah, did I mention that I need to finish everything this semester or I don't get the job?

I'm freaking out, and worrying that I won't be able to finish when I need to.

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

hell yeah. I'm not used to working much while going to school so I'm having trouble with time management by working 20 hours plus my 12 units (i know it's not a lot for some people but call me a wuss). Also this is my first semester of doing upper division and all my classes assign way more reading than I've ever been accustom to, so that's adding onto the time constraint issue.

9. knucks

knucks Active Member

I feel like I don't have a moment of free time but I guess my work, classes, and the gym keep me busy...helps me get my work done.

10. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Kinda stressed with school here.

My schedule/classes are that bad except that Calc-II is taking up A LOT of my time because my professor sucks balls and she reads the lecture straight out of the book and book sucks, so I need to study twice as much as usual to know all the material.

For the first time though I am not really working too much while in school. I only work about 8 or 9 hours a week, which is nothing compared to previous years when I was working 25+ hours a week with a full class load.

11. TZ

TZ Banned

not stressed at all :bowdown: 12 credit hours ftw

12. ralyks

ralyks New Member

School? Is that spanish?

13. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

Wow, that does sound great! :ugh:

14. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I forgot about the fact that I would like to get at least 150 hours of experience in a job which involves a helping relationship since I need to have some for my PhD.
    It's pretty awesome, they expect me to have a something like a 3.7 GPA, 750 hours of experience as a research assistant and 750 hours of experience as a helper, all in 3 years, plus it would help me if I had had scholarships, summer research programs or some nice extracurricular activities and some community service. :ugh:

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:rofl: wow dude, just wow.

that sucks major ass but if it's your goal, you gotta do what you gotta do. Keep you head up :bigthumb:

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

honestly that's the best way to do it if you can live with being a poor son of a bitch or have help from your parents. I live at home so my expenses are really minimal, i'd be working 10 hours versus my 20 if my job would allow it.

I did 25/week with 15 credits once.... my GPA was in 2.0's for that semester and even though that's not terrible, I like seeing mostly A's and a few B's, not all B's and one C. If I'm gonna take the classes I might as well take them right.

17. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

The stuff for the first scholarship is due tomorrow and I don't have my letters of recommendation just yet :noes:
    In a week it'll all be over ! Well, then I'll have to have a good session so that I actually get in the program, and then I have to perform well to be able to get other scholarships during the PhD :wtc:
    For those who care, my thesis will be "Prediction of social withdrawal from parenting behaviors, peer relationships and genetic risk for behavioral inhibition" :o :bowdown:

18. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

I'm freaking out. Lifting calmed me down but I was going apeshit today.
    Graded arabic written homework on mon.
    Pop quiz in due process on wed.
    test worth 20% of grade in crim today
    test worth 25% of grade in env science tommorrow
    test worth 30% of grade in arabic on monday

fucking :eek3:

19. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

School is busy but I'm doing extremely well right now.

Oh yeah it's a little stressful to quit working full time and go back to school full time while living off loans when you have a house and car payment at 24 years old as a freshman.

20. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i'm stressed about what i'm doing with my life. i graduated 5 years ago from college and i'm realizing i don't like i.t. like i thought i would. i mean i like working on some of the projects i get to do, but i HATE user support. i work in a small i.t. shop (there's 7 of us including the director) which means i get to do some of everything from running cable, to programming, to desktop support. i'm just getting tired of dealing with dumbasses for next to no money. lately i've been thinking about going back to school to finish up my 2nd major and finding a new career. then again, i'm not sure wtf i could do with a math degree. i don't know if making more money would help me feel better about what i have to deal with, but i know that being broke sure as hell isn't helping.

21. Hood Moses

Hood Moses I part the Black Seas...

:fawk:

Im taking 20 just so I can finish up this spring.

Yeah, Im starting to freak out, I got a shit load of stuff on my plate for classes along with starting to interview and what not.

22. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

if you hate working with the same people every day, couped up into an office, and not having much of a relationship with your coworkers, maybe you should check out law enforcement. Those are are some of the main reasons pushing me away from office careers and shit like that. Other than that I think it will be fulfilling to help people (even if it's only a small portion of the time that I actually get to see a smile on someone's face) and my community.

I'm sure your local department has some sort of ride-along program you could sign up for if you want to check it out. A lot of people who never thought they'd be interested do this and realize that it's what they're really looking for. If you've got a college degree you've already got a better chance than a lot of people I'm sure, and most departments in urban or suburban areas pay pretty decently.

23. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, it helps a lot to be working less. My first year of college I worked fulltime, went to school fulltime, had a g/f, participated in the honors society activities and STILL maintained a 3.8 gpa. My social life was non-existant though and my g/f (who is now an ex anyways) nearly broke up with me like 4 times because of it.

My parents don't help me now, so I just take out extra loans to make up for not working as much. It will suck later when I have a shit ton of debt, but you only go to college once and I don't want to spend it with half-assed grades and working in all my freetime.

24. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i REALLY don't want to do law enforcement. and i don't hate the people i work with directly. 2 of my best friends are also part of our i.t. team. and the time we spend working together is the part of my job i love. its dealing with all the other stupid end users that gets on my nerves. its like no matter how much we try to explain shit to them, they are just too damn dumb to understand how to do the simplest things.

25. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

that's just an hour a day each doing some lab help and research for anyone in the department. The community service will knock itself out for whatever programs you regularly volunteer for, hell just the volunteer work i did for big brothers and big sisters and some candy striping and working voting polls counted for that type stuff. Extracurricular's get covered by any groups and stuff you are involved with around campus. It's pretty easy to get all that stuff checked off in 3 years

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.