MIL It's rather difficult to have choices

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TRN, Mar 10, 2009.

1. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

It's an odd thing getting ready to EAS.

Having gone so long being told what to do and where you will go, now I'm 5 months away from EAS from the Corps and it's not as great or relaxing of a time as I thought it would be.

It's almost like you forget how to be able to make big choices like that.

I've been tossing the re-up option and that of getting out to go to school and work.

It seems much easier to stay in and more or less remain in that stable environment, but getting out and getting those little things back you gave up to work or maybe go to school is weird feeling.

Any advice from those that have recently parted ways with the military? How/Why did you make the choice you made?

Does anyone have any good resources for GI Bill usage?

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I grew up a Navy brat and then joined the Air Force right out of high school. When I got out of the Air Force I felt like I was jumping off a cliff in total darkness. Talk about a culture shock.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have stayed in until retirement and then gone out into the civilian world - with extra cash every month, and full medical benefits.

3. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

I was supposed to EAS Sept this year , just extended 10 months to deploy 1 more time. The thing i tell everyone including myself is. If you stay in your stuck , if you get out you can ALWAYS come back in.. think of it that way

4. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

:werd:x11ty billion

I got out last summer and suddenly realized all the freedom I had, and promptly wasted the 1-2 months of it.

5. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Not always. Depends on the branch and their current manning levels. I've known a few people get denied reentry.

6. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

I got off Active Air Force in October of 07 and joined the reserves. I loved it, I'm getting out of the reserves in December. It took me a little while to get back on my feet, but things are going great now.

7. Ranger-AO

The thing about the civilian world is you can never plan on what you have right now being there in the future.

My advice: stay in, get your retirement pay and benefits locked in stone, and then do whatever the fuck you want. I seriously wish I had done that when I had the chance.

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I just got back in Corps. Stay in. It's tough out there in the civilian world right now. I know what you're feeling right now. Your enlistment is FINALLY coming to an end. Seems like it's been forever.

9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I'm trying to submit a QRP (Quality Reenlistment Program) package which I found out had to be in by tomorrow at the very least in order to buy myself a month or so of time to make my choice. The crappy part is I have to include letters of rec. from my command and getting my XO to do one in 1 days time is like winning the lotto.
    If I don't get it back in the morning to submit I won't have the option to re-up in my MOS and with no interest in a lat move I'll just EAS and take my two months terminal I guess. :dunno:

10. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

:rofl: Your XO actually does the writing??!! Let me give you a little USAF trick to getting that recommendation letter really fast....write it yourself. Write it, in correct format, toss your XO's signature block at the end, take it to him, and ask him if he would sign it for you. No commander I've ever had has written a recommendation letter for anyone. Shit, they don't even write the derogatory letters, the supervisors write them all, the commander just signs it.

11. Ranger-AO

Looking at the short term, the decision is incredibly easy. Just like you said - decide that you want to go somewhere and do it. Add 20 years to the equation and the decision isn't nearly as easy. Will the job you find enable you to retire in 20 years, or will you have to fund your own retirement? In the vast majority of cases, with the job market for the forseable future, banking on your company to fund your retirement is like betting your future on a roll of the dice. Of course, you can always plan on funding your own retirement, paying into a 401K or similary plan throughout your career. But then again - you could do the same while you are in the military. :hsugh:

I worked for AT&T for 15 years and was earning a very comfortable salary with some excellent benefits. For most of those 15 years, nobody would have expected that the huge AT&T corporation would ever be up for sale, spinning off assets and divisions to pay the bills until a buyer with deep enough pockets came along. But shit happens, and a shitload of people lost their jobs and their expectations of retirement. There is nothing wrong with locking in an excellent retirement package right now with the military, and then moving on later to find out what else you can add to the deal.

Cliffs: Just because you are comfortable with the gamble you've made on your future doesn't mean everyone else would (or should) be.

12. Ranger-AO

TRUTH

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

My CWO wrote it up and had him sign it.

It doesn't matter anyways now since he never gave it back to me and it was due Friday morning.
    It vanished somewhere between his desk and the career jammer's office.

I guess they just sealed the deal for me.

14. Julius

Julius Guest

:wavey: good luck man

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

you can always come back. ;)