SRS Its ok to be happy????

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paulie Walnuts, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

My fiance told me that today and it got me thinking. My life has been so far in the shitter over the last year that now when I have moments of what I would call happiness, like right now, they feel odd. I am so addicted to being depressed I now when I feel happy I equate it to when normal people suffer bouts of depression. What a strange life I live

2. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Brother, you speak the truth. I am so used to being depressed that it's odd when I get happy, and I don't want it to go away, but I know it's inevitable. I am addicted to the pain and misery, to feeling like a victim. A former friend of mine said that while some people get depressed, I get happy.

3. Paulie Walnuts

Isnt it odd? I look back and I just wonder what the fuck is wrong with me and why can I not kick this.

4. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

Don't look back! Just look at what you have coming towards you in life. Forget the past. Just look at the good memories you have if they're any!

5. 7960

7960 New Member

why do people ask "is it ok to be happy?" like there's something wrong with it?

6. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

because if you've lived a life of sadness and everyone around you has as well and that's all you're exposed to, then you wonder "is it ok to be happy"

sometimes if people are too emotional (when it comes to being happy), some people look down upon that.

7. dontdothat

dontdothat Guest

:wavey: Of course it's ok to be happy :bigthumb: ... but as odd as it seems some people are in fact "happier" as in, comfortable/at peace being depressed. Sometimes being happy is too much of a change for someone that it's easier being down. My only advice, try to not let it affect your entire life or your relationships in big ways.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

then it's your responsibility to get the fuck away from those people.

everyone deserves happiness. If someone makes you question that, get them out of your life.

9. Megab

Megab OT's CPhT

im with you

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

In the latter stages of my drinking, I used to believe that bad/sad times were the norm and good times were just brief pauses in between the shit.....and you damned well better enjoy them cuz the shit train is coming!

Having sobered up, I now realize that good times come and go....and bad times come and go. But one isn't the "normal mode". I found that once I started addressing the issues in my life, started taking responsibility for where my life was heading and finding help for my drinking, I had fewer and fewer bad days....and the times between them became longer and longer.

Now I dunno if you're an alcoholic like I am...I'm just sharing my perspective....for what it's worth.

I've heard this over and over in AA, "You've got one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow and you're pissing on today." That means when I'm on my pity pot, I'm usually focused on some aspect of the past or something I percieve about the future and today is shot. The real trick is to let go of those things and simply focus on today.

Today is really all we have. In fact, all of life is just a series of fleeting moments in time. Everything changes.

And yes...it's absolutly ok to be happy but it seems that the more one pursues happiness, the more it eludes him. I've heard it said that happiness is a byproduct of good living and I tend to believe that.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Melancholy?

I kind of know what you mean. I grew comfortable being in a state of melancholy. I wasn't happy, but I wasn't depressed. I was just... existing. And I was content in that state of melancholy. I think. Nothing awesome happened, but nothing shitty happened, either.

But then randomly I'd experience bouts of joy. I wouldn't dwell on them because I didn't want to become used to them, or addicted to them (like an alcoholic becoming addicted to alcohol). I didn't want to miss them.

I dunno.

12. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

as much as I'd like to agree with you, it's not that easy to up and leave. especially if you're a child or the people who are bringing you down is family

13. 7960

7960 New Member

You are the only person who is responsible for your happiness. You need to take care of you.

14. Paulie Walnuts

Yeah that is kind of where I am at. I am trying to change and be a more positive person. I am treating it like I am in recovery, one day at a time. Somedays are great and others I take a step back.