SRS It's official - I'm useless

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Lt. Tom Paris, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I can't find a job, I've tried all of the job seeking websites that I can think of, and I can't find an IT job. It's been 7 months since I lost my last job. I feel totally useless and I doubt I'll ever find a computer repair job again. :wtc:

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Is that all you know how to do? I'm sure you could obtain some kind of job in the meantime while you find the job you really want on the side. People do it all the time.

3. I was customer support for a while for a credit card processing company - but computer tech support / computer problem solving / upgrading / assembling computers is what I'm best at.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I understand that...my point was that people carry on jobs all the time that they don't love or even like, they do it because they need money and should have a job. What I'm saying is stop moping. It sucks that you can't find the job you really love and are good at, but in the meantime find something you can do while you search for your dream job.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your not useless, finding a job is hard, and if you have been rejected as many times as i have , i came to the understanding that its not me who is the problem, rather how i approuched the situation.

What i learned was the the contact shouldn't be virtual, but physical. E-mails, phonecalls, letters are easily erased, piled up, forgotten or disregarded. What you want is a REAL job interview, put on your shoes, and goto a company is far more realistical then a mere e-mail, not that im saying that using those methods are completely invalid, im just saying that a personal eye to eye conversation has more chance of getting that job (at least in my experience) , if i where you i would goto a local job agency and let them find a job for you. Persistance is the key to success. Don't let rejection or a problem make you stop from living.

Its not about getting the job that you like, its about getting ANY job, from there you can keep on searching on finding a job you like, secure your financial situation, stop the computer virtual non-sense (i mean that) and go outside and get a real job. Something realistic. Its not that i want to harass you but i did the whole e-mail thing too, checking many website, they usually give you jack responses and false hope, there's nothing concrete there from my experiences.

When i was jobless i let a job agency do the searching for me, and then they found a job for me. You might want to try that. I also wasn't willing to do a job that i didn't like, but realistically i noted to myself that i didn't have the luxurity to say such a thing, i needed money, everyone needs ground to stand on in these kind of situations.

6. sony

sony Active Member

I'm in the same boat. :hs: :hug:

Only been a couple months here though. Don't feel useless, just keep trying. :x:

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Stay positive dude. It's critical in the job search process. I know....I'm just coming out of it and into my first job since graduating in May. Now this has been a great summer for me and I had a blast but I want to go to work so I can't start getting some income coming in.

But it's critical that you remain positive throughout this process. Whenever you have a negative thought, replace it IMMEDIATELY with a positive one. Don't allow yourself to wallow in self pity and remorse. Don't let yourself say, "I'll never find and job"....when this thought comes to mind, say "I will find the perfect job for me very soon!"

You absolutely must do this because looking for a job can be an enormously depressing activity and it usually brings up all sorts of fears in people. For me, I was scared to death that I would run out of money before I found a job....hell just 3-4 weeks ago I didn't have ANY prospects for a job. NOTHING! I hadn't had an interview in weeks and there weren't any on the horizon. Talk about depressing.

That's when a very good friend suggested to me what I am suggesting to you and you know what....it works! It helped change my attitude and then all of a sudden 2 companies called and wanted to interview me.....one of them I'd been trying to get an interview with since early April!!! Yeah that's like 4 months.

Now I have a job and they want me to start ASAP so I'll start getting money in after a couple of weeks. This positivity thing I'm suggesting helped me not be bitter and morose in the interviews....I was excited and felt great! Both interviews went very, very well and I'm looking forward to my new opportunities...even if I didn't get my first choice of employers.

Anyways, stay strong and positive. You'll find a job eventually and in case you didn't know it....you are NOT useless. You WILL find a job. You WILL be able to live your dreams.....it simply may take a little longer than you would like for it to.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Finding a job is fucking hard.

I hate to say this... I really, really hate to say this... but it's about networking and WHO you know. Both of my corporate jobs (since college) have been obtained because of someone I knew.

I used to think networking groups and all that shit was so stupid. I deplored their existence. I'd rather punch myself in the face than go schmooze with some dude who might be able to get me a job in 5 years... but seriously, check with your friends, see who's in HR, who has a position you'd like, let them know when interviews are coming up. Some corporate social circles are tight... some of your friends may have the ability to get your resume placed on the top of the stack, if you know what I mean, etc.