It's Official - Hollywood is out of ideas (Guess Who)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by edrox, Mar 9, 2005.

1. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

I am embarassed for anyone remotely associated with Guess Who, but disappointed in Bernie Mac.

The original was a groundbreaking film, that challenged our societal views and segragationist attitude. To turn it into a spoof of itself is deplorable.

2. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Wow, a little harsh. I will wait until I read the reviews, but it interests me that both Kutcher & Bernie Mac were independently trying to get this updating of Guess Who's Coming To Dinner.
    It implies that they really care for the original work but want to tell it their own way.

3. Tenzin

Tenzin Guest

I'm always curious to see a different take on a classic.

4. edrox

A little harsh? nah. Not harsh enough.

How could anyone who cared for hte original work, as you say, allow it to become a spoof of itself? Ashton Kutcher in a role originally played by Sidney Potier? You can't be serious.

The first movie was, for its time, a very edgy movie about racist attitudes, and changing our collective conscience. This one has Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher racing go-karts?

I suppose that, by that standard, its OK to remake Citizen Kane starring Chris Farley (were he alive). And this time "Rosebud" could be a bong! yeah that's it.

Its pathetic that the 'creative' minds in Hollywood can do no better than to reach back and mock their predecessors, heck - their heritage.

5. meeker

meeker Guest

Hollywood's been recycling for a long time, everything from past movies to books and tv shows, and is definitely on a roll -- look at latest crop coming out soon: Dukes of Hazard, Bewitched, Guess Who, another Batman movie... I like some of the stuff that's getting cranked out by the star machine. I wouldn't go as far as to the first post though.

6. edrox

Hey, I like some of the re-makes (or re-imaginings) as well. Charlie's Angles (the first one), Batman, Superman, etc are fun diversions. But that is because when we look back at those old shows, we kind of laugh about how corney they really were - even though people were really into them in their day. Look at all the "General Lee" '69 Chargers in the world.

But you can't honestly draw a comparisson between "The Dukes of Hazzard" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner." One is a cornball tv show/movie about guys defying the laws of physics in a Mopar. The other is about breaking down social barriers in very tense times for most of Middle America.

That is like comparing "Tommy Boy" to "Citizen Kane", or "Will and Grace" to "Philadelphia".

7. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate New Member

Hollywood has sucked for the past 10 years. Look at some of the crappy movies coming out in the next few months: Stealth, Herbie, Sin City (before you flame me, everyone got on my case when I said Sky Captain would suck).

8. pixie

pixie on one wild ride :naughty:

One... well, I don't want to say good thing, but still good thing about it is that it shows the world has improved in some manner. As you said the original was edgy film that made us really look at how we interacted with each other, over something as worthless as a skin color. But in the new version it's something that can be made to look silly, & stupid. Interracial couples are much more the norm now, & you would have to run into some tried & true bigots to get a negitive additude about it-back then avarage people would freak, not just the bigots.

Does that make any sense?

9. msalyss85

msalyss85 Guest

Ashton Kutcher should diaf

/thread

10. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate New Member

As long as the fire is in my area and I'm on the first arriving engine company, that would be great...

11. meeker

meeker Guest

Well Guess Who was number one at the box office this past weekend so I guess the public didn't mind the remake.

12. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

The general public sucks