It's not necessarily American, but I am, and I put it together

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Market Garden, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Tonight I'm whoring out pictures of my 99% complete kart. It's a CRG chassis with a Rotax FR125 engine. I built it because track days with my Vette are cool, but they are a shitload of money and I can't actually race anybody. The only things left to finish are wiring the electrical system (my project tomorrow night) and then install my gauge cluster when it arrives on monday. I'm excited. :noes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

Woo kart thread.
    Wouldnt mind giving a rotax a go sometime! Just end up too expensive if you race too much.

Im an aussie, mines an aussie built arrow ax8 with a yamaha 100cc 'j'. The J is gutless as buggery, all of about 12hp for my 'good one'. Air cooled and not far removed from a waterpump :) Cheap to race though and I seem to be doing 3 meets/month some months, so at $150-200/meet it still winds up nearly $500 a month if im lucky. Good sized fields (starting the middle of 20+ is something different) and good close racing.
    GF races too, she only races dirt though. Has her own kart (its a shitter), but ends up using mine.
    [​IMG]

3. I'm figuring on it being reasonably expensive, but a hell of a lot less than even track days with a car. I figured it all out one time, a track day with my vette costs about $200 for the track fee, $100 for gas, 1/3 of a $500 set of brake pads, and beating the hell out of $1400 tires. It's easily over $500 per track day, and that is assuming I don't break anything.

The kart should work out to about $50 a weekend for track fees, 4 gallons of gas, and whatever damage I do to it. Brakes are cheap, and a full set of tires is only $170. The only real big expense is engine rebuilds every ~50 hours.

4. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

Yeah its nothing compared to cars. I used to do track days as well. As well as the cost the inability to actually race other people sucks.

I think it only gets really expensive when you want to race competitively.

I have to rebuild by junkers ever 10 hours or so (top end), bottom end every 20 or so.
    The 'big hp (17hp, lol) brother 100cc 's' of my engine needs rebuilds about every 6. Then it gets a bit stupid.

5. 6 hour intervals!?!? WOW!

The FR125 makes 27-28hp. Most people say the performance drops off a little bit after 30 hours, but unless you are looking for every thousandth of a second it's fine to extend the intervals to 50 hours. If you are lucky and the crank and piston spec out fine, the rebuilds can only set you back a few hundred. If you need a new crank, then it's around a grand.

6. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

Yeah we get the rotax fr125cc here. The other option is the parilla leopard. Both are pretty similar or power.

The big problem with these classes for competition is they run sticky tyres. This means chassis dont last very long (think about changing every hand full of meets to be at the front) and the tyres dont last long either. The class for the leopard runs tyres that are good for one meet. At $250aus a set (thats about $200us) you can see why that might and up.
    Dont want to buy tyres ever meet, forget about being at the front.

Kinda sucks because i would like a 125 (electric start would be nice) but dont want to be limited in the amount of racing due to budget.

7. I looked at the Leopard too. Most of the guys around here run the rotax, so I figured I was better off in the group where the most people were.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Why do the small engines need rebuilding so often? Are they designed to wear out fast for some reason (i.e. consumable parts), or are they just cheap engines, or what?

9. They rev to 14,000 and are putting out a shitload of power for their size (224HP/Liter) It's no different from any other race engine. Also, the 2 stroke needs periodic inspection to make sure something real expensive isn't dying. Bought new, they are a little over $2k.

10. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

Doesn't help that the piston and ring spends so much time running over the ports. The start having blowby issues because of that. Bit like a peripheral port rotary :)

11. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

$500 set of brake pads? seriously? goddamn that's way more expensive than I would've guessed.

12. PFC 01 pads. They were $516 after an $80 discount. They are amazing brakes, but paying for them actually hurts.