It's new computer time.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tvan, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Tvan

Tvan New Member

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Spiffy. Too bad it doesn't have a RAID, though. :big grin:

3. jeyur

jeyur cum fairy OT Supporter

enjoy it man. wish i could build a new one

4. Clarity

Clarity New Member

awesome

5. Tvan

Tvan New Member

It's gonna be meant for gaming, so RAID isn't really all that practical.

This also explains the lack of a dual core processor.

6. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

I would think a RAID 0 or 5 would be great for gaming. Allow you to access your data faster than a single drive....
    Especially with 4 sata 300 drives....

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you would think wrong.

RAID 0 isn't even RAID. RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. RAID0 does not address redundancy, therefore it is not even true RAID. Furthermore, recent technical studies have demonstrated no worthwhile performance increase for gaming or typical desktop usage. In addition, risk for data loss increases exponentially.

Lastly, the added complexity typically removes it from being a viable solution on the desktop platform. Current RAID5 implementations are cost-prohibitive. Furthermore, performance gains can actually turn into performance losses in certain circumstances. The way that games utilize data stored on a hard drive make them poor candidates for RAID. Zero performance gains are to be had in-play. Load times may improve marginally -- something that even most extreme gamers that must deal with the "bottom line" pricetag find inconsequential.

Unless you have money to burn without a care in the world, I wouldn't much recommend running RAID in that setup.

8. PrinzII

PrinzII New Member

Tvan, that's a very nice rig you are building. I just got through building my own box (Abit KN-8, Opteron 165, Lite-On DVD RW, Lite-On Combo, 2 GB G.Skill DDR 400, Antec TPII 550, XFX 7900 GT...to name a few) and I am very ecstatic.

The gf wants me to build her a new one and we just spec'd out the case (Antec P180).

9. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

I don't play many games, I guess I shouldn't make suggestions, I forget that games of today don't utilize the hard drives as much, and ram is cheap, so having plenty of it is cheaper than having the raid, especially when the games would utilize the ram better than the extra drives.
    I don't leave home without one, but that's because my information is critical, and being down even for hours to replace a drive can mean alot of lost money at our dealerships.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I suggest you re-consider the case. That particular case is craptastically plastic. The front door is pathetic, and is an excellent example of the poor quality Antec puts in their recent products.

11. Tvan

Tvan New Member

I got a good deal on a barely used 3700+ San Diego, otherwise it would have been Opteron 165 all the way. :bigthumb:

I can vouch for the quality of anything made by Lian-Li. I bought this case because I helped my friend Alan build one with the same case, and the build went so smoothly. The mobo tray is excellent, drives are easily accesible, I wouldn't use anything else.

Pics tonight hopefully.

12. PrinzII

PrinzII New Member

What do you suggest? The major things I like about the P180 is that it's expandable as hell and it has pretty decent airflow.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

heck, if that's your concern, then CMStacker beats P180 on BOTH counts, and has better build quality.

Otherwise, take your pick of Silverstone and Lian-Li.

14. PrinzII

PrinzII New Member

Ogre: I thought about the Silverstone TJ series but she didn't like the aesthetics of it (Go figure).

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you have to see them in person. The TJ-02 is very inexpensive, and the front bezel is spectacular. I have a TJ-06 that I receive many positive comments on (and that means a lot, considering most people don't comment on something like a case, usually). The new TJ-07 is something I am considering for my next personal build.

If you want something else, look towards Lian-Li. Their "V" series (such as the V2000) gives a semi-PowerMac look, and is excellent for cooling.

16. PrinzII

PrinzII New Member

Ogre: I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

17. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Thermaltake Tsunami, NZXT Lexa, or anything Lian-Li.

Anything under $90 in a Coolermaster is cheap plastic.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Hell no! First of all, this is a PERFECT example of what ThermalTake does... They rip other companies off! This design is 100% CoolerMaster (read: WaveMaster) and then they do a sub-par job at copying it, even! Not to mention it is HORRIBLE in terms of cooling (the WaveMaster doesn't cool well, either -- who woulda thunk a solid aluminum front bezel and drive door wouldn't let much air in :o)

Who said anything about a cheap coolermaster? The CMStacker is 100% steel construction for its structure, and features an aluminum bezel, and steel drive covers. The *only* pastic on this case are the drive rails.

19. Clarity

Clarity New Member

i'd get a cardboard motherboard box

ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh and phase change cooling

20. Tvan

Tvan New Member

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

*exactly*

so why do you come in here mentioning that "anything coolermaster <$90 == cheap+plastic".

That's about as useful as me saying.

A cheeseburger costs less than two cheeseburgers and a shake!

22. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I just recently got a Lian Li. Excellent build quality. I had an Antec case before this one. The door broke two days after I got it. A little downward pressure on it and the joist bent and almost snapped. After that it fell off when I opened it so I just took the door off. The CD drive rails also didn't seem cut properly, the fit was too tight so I couldn't use them. Air flow was a hassle, I ended up using something like 8 quiet fans in my case and it sounded like a jet plane.

I got a Lian Li, used the three fans that came with the case. My temps rose 1-2 degrees on the stock fans. I didn't even hook one of the fans up, so I'm actually only using two, a 120mm and an 80mm. Case is quiet. CD drives are rubber plated to reduce the spin up vibration noises. The door is sturdy like a rock. I couldn't break this one if I tried. It snaps shut and has weather stripping along the seem to prevent any vibrations.

The case wasn't too much more than my Antec, but it was like night and day. The finish on it is superb. I get compliments on my case all the time. I've never really had that before other than from kids who like the stupid window. Adults look at it and just go "wow".

I used to swear by Antec as being a great bargain. But believe it or not, even though I paid a bit more for my Lian Li, I feel I got a better deal. Definitely worth the money if you're willing to spend it. I'd take a $90 Lian-Li over a $90 Antec anyday.

23. Tvan

Tvan New Member

[​IMG]

Disregard the CRT, I borrowed it from another computer for troubleshooting.

[​IMG]

My old digital ELPH is really showing its age.

And I gotta fix that one cord that's hanging right in front of the window.

24. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

As a general rule, I despise any case with a door, no matter what it's made of. I don't want to have yet another thing to worry about busting off if I move my right leg the wrong way.

25. PrinzII

PrinzII New Member

Ogre: What's your take on Abit?