SRS It's never hit me this hard before..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Splak, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Splak

Splak New Member

This past year has been one of the best of my life. I met a wonderful girl that I have been with for 6 months. I was promoted at work and make almost 60% more than what I made the previous year. I just moved out of my parents house to a house with a friend of mine. I'm 22, going to graduate with a bachelors in Business management next Spring.

However..

I am lonely, depressed and can't seem to get a hold of my emotions. One day I will be happy and enjoy my life, the next I am sad and don't want to do anything. I've dealt with depression in the past, but never this bad.

I've never been away from home and I'm not used to being by myself so much. The solitude is really getting to me! My roomate works an opposite schedule from me and I see him maybe 1 hour 2-3 days a week. I've always been an independent person but now I'm constantly wanting to be around people, but I can't. My girlfriend goes to school and works after so I can only see her on the weekends. I work 3rd shift (10pm-6am) so I have a hard time doing things socially with friends. Once again I'm limited to the weekends, so I have to share the time with my girlfriend and friends. Limiting the time I spend with both.

I'm financially independant and have been taking care of myself since I was 17; I just lived in my parents basement. I think my big problem is I have always been surrounded by my family. Always had people to talk to; I get so excited when my phone rings it's pathetic. I don't really know what to do. Will I get used to the solitude or do you think there's something bigger underneath causing me to be unhappy. I know there's only so much you can tell from a post, but I don't like feeling like this and I don't know what to do.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  2. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

Bi-polar II. Seek therapy.

3. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

It sounds to me like you're just not used to the change yet. When you make a huge change in your life like that (being around people all the time, to not seeing anybody at all), it can fuck with you. Keep your head up! Everything will be ok. Sounds like you dont have much you can do during the week...so try to find something to kill the time and kill the boredom. Restlessness can cause problems.

4. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

Life looks good for you man. You know when people say "always look at the bright side" you have a lot of things to look at that are on the bright side. Especially your girl. You should always look foward to seeing her/talking to her when you feel low. It's possible though that you might have a condition that you might want to get checked out with a psychologist..

5. Splak

Splak New Member

I'll give myself a little while to get used to the recent changes. I went and read about Bipolar II and it just seems so extreme. Yes, I experience some of the symptoms but I think most people do to some extent. I won't rule out the idea that I may actually have a condition. I'll try to stay focused on the positive and gi9ve myself time to adjust, I don't really see anything else I can do. Thanks.

6. dOOfus

dOOfus OT Supporter

try making friends with your coworkers since you share the same shift. they're probably in the same boat you are.

7. Splak

Splak New Member

I'm good friends with a lot of them, however the problem comes in that I'm so much younger than everyone. I work in a dept where the closest age to me is 26. Most of them are married and have kids. I've gone to the bar with them a few times, but it's hard doing anything more involved since I'm so much younger. I don't have much to relate to, they all sit and talk about their kids and wives.

8. dOOfus

dOOfus OT Supporter

i'm 24. i have friends ranging from 19-32. i still get along great with them. just have to find a common interest.

9. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

Adjusting to change can be very emotional, and you know what else? Those 3rd shifts are HELL on a person. I have worked them, and my ex worked them and neither of us was happy or easy to live with then. Crazy moods.
    Do give it some more time, but also maybe call a doctor or a nurse or some kind of professional, and see if maybe they think it's possible that you have something else going on, besides adjusting to change.
    Best wishes to you. :)