It's make it or break it time at work

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

The owner's wife was asking me about my PowerMac, and I raved about it and showed her the iMac that had just been released a few days earlier. Well she liked it and word must have gotten beack to the owner because he started asking me about mine too. So I showed him everything including my hacked version of Front Row. :mamoru:

He had me order one on the spot for his wife. :eek3: Then he told me when it comes in he wanted me to go to their house and show her how to use it and transfer all her files. :eek4: Then he said he may be in the market for one too.

That's the last time I sell macs to anyone. I quickly forget that I'm the only one I know within 100 miles that has a Mac that people can ask for help instead. I can see it now, the company graphic designer becomes the owner's personal tech support. I always open for helping out Mac users, but I am good friends with the IT guy at work and he laughed and said "Thank you" because he was the one going to their house once a month to fix their PCs. :o

In the end, I ordered her a 20" iMac + 1.5G RAM
    Creature II speakers
    Apple Care
    Toast 7 Platinum (I guess she likes copying DVDs)

It was like $2400 with taxes. :eek4:

2. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I'm glad I haven't had to deal with people wanting help with switching at work. Fortunately most of the guys are still focused on getting Sun rigs at home.

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

lol, my best friend's parents recently switched from some crapy old LCD computers (built in computer things) to Macs (lol, they bought 4 iMac G5s like 3 weeks before the new ones came out, they are loaded, btw).
    The Father of the family's assistant (he ownes a major company that makes seatbelts for ford and other places) was set to set them all up, but had no idea how to work them.

I was over, and she litterly took me outa the room with my friends like 5-6 times to help her fix something. They were running slowly, and she was wondering why. She had like every single progam possible running, lol.

still trying to get my parents to make the switch.

4. Rev. Johnny Vegas

I'm not even going down that road. I think my brother might switch, but I'm not even going to advocate my parents switching.

5. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

I've really been getting the Mac bug lately. I'm thinking of getting a Mini to start off with.

6. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I'm getting my mom a mini in Feb. I know now that is going to be fun teaching her how to use it.

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

thats the part I don't like is teaching them...it gets annoying. but i'd rather teach them than have to be over there everyother day to fix their pc.

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

lol, i still live with my parents (15 years old)...

And, our family comp has been a royally fucked up Dell from like 1997. Its got a pretty nice 21inch CRT monitor, and i want them to get a Mac mini.

My mom just gets so mad at this, because it crashes a ton, and like half the stuff doesnt work. One of my parents friends was a "computer wiz" (yeah right) so he came over, and saw that we had a ton of programs running that we "didnt need".
    So, he searched for them, deleted all of them. When doing this, he deleted about half of the programs main files, also something called rundle32 or something like that, and pretty much we cant change a damn setting, or install any new programs, etc.

Yeah, it sucks

9. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I'd like to get my parents a Mini for Xmas. They have an old PIII 500 I built for them years ago (back when they were new!) and it's just clogged with junk software and internet security/AV software. It takes 5min to boot.

All they use it for is internet, taxes/stocks and photos so it would be perfect. Especially where they can make DVD's out of the photos so easily. When I first got my PowerMac I made a quick DVD w/some photos I had stored and it got my mom to tear up.

Hopefully I get a good bonus & raise.

10. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Yeah, rundll32.exe is just kind of important to Windows. Frankly I'm surprised that the computer will even boot okay without it (if that is the file he actually deleted).

Fortunately my parents have gotten used to replacing their computers every ~4 years and right now I've got them on relatively new machines. Somehow they ended up with Sony Vaios across the board.

Just so that they don't decide to keep one of their computers much past 2 cycles of Moore's Law, I'm happy.

11. Halon X

Halon X New Member

I'm the only computer guy most of my family know so always used to get called for support. Switching my family from PC to Mac drastically reduced the number of calls I received and the calls do receive changed from "it's broke, how do I fix it" to "I need to do this, how do I do it".

One piece of advice I can offer to help alleviate simple questions would be to suggest they purchase a couple "how to" or "new to the Mac" type books to get her started.