Its in and goddamn it is loud!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fst89lx, Mar 2, 2003.

1. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

got my pair of 9012's and 1100D's installed I haven't tuned the sytem yet but the gain is less than 1/2 way up and on 40 out of 80 (I only go to 60 though) on my deck it is extremely loud! and the subs arent broke in yet! I will upddate this post tonight at around 11-1130 w/ pics.

2. 04

04 Guest

Just because the gain on the amplifier is only 1/2 way up doesnt mean you aren't sending enough power to the subs. When you turn it up, even to 40, you could be clipping it....

3. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Re: Re: Its in and goddamn it is loud!

:werd: I know this. It was a badly worded statement I guess.

I am pretty sure that I'm not clipping the amps because at 50 there isn't a single hint of distortion coming from my subs.

I keep getting scared though because EVERYTHING in my truck rattles now and I keep thinking its noise coming from the subs, but if I press on some of the body panels it stops and I quit worrying :) hehe Tomorrow I am going to have to fine tune the gain, subsonic filter, and the low pass filter.

and btw here are some pics. pics of the box installed in the truck will be up tomorrow.

copy and paste this link in your browser http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290585797

Last edited: Mar 3, 2003
  4. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

nah, I wasn't complaining man. turning it down would = less bass which = :wtc: hehe. although as mentioned above everything rattles, so I wish I would have dynamatted before I installed this but oh well.

5. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Ok, I updated the album w/ pics of the box installed in my truck, they aren't that great but you can see it pretty well.

I need to button up the RCA's but other than that it all looks good.

6. wcbjr

wcbjr Active Member

Any chance of mounting those amps side by side instead of one on top of the other? Just wondering about radiation of heat from the bottom to the top. Other than that, looks solid.

7. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Nope, can't do it without running new power/ground wires and speaker wires. They don't get that hot anyway, they get decent air flow. soon the weather will get kinda warm and I will be able to have the windows down so it won't really matter anyway.

After having it in for a few days, I must say that new door speakers are a definate must! you can hardly hear ANYTHING over the bass :(. The dilemma here is that I am not sure if I just want to power them off of the deck or w/ a small amp. If I use an amp I have to figure out where to mount it which will be a real bitch.

I am very pleased w/ these subs, they are insane loud and go extermely deep!

8. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

How about some specs on the box?
    I wish i had that kind of amp power *tear*

9. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

the box is a tad larger than 5cubic feet net. the subs share a common chamber and the port tunes the box to ~35hz.

I REALLY wish I would have put in some fucking dynamat, rattling is getting excessive!!! :wtc:

also cone noise IS noticable since they are right by your head :( It goes away if you lean like 6inches forward in the seat but I don't like to sit like an old lady so I will have to deal w/ it I guess.

10. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

looks like a sweet setup, you are really gonna need some sound deadening soon.