It's impossible to find Sys Admins in the Southeast

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scoob_13, May 26, 2005.

1. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

It may be because we're not quite in the technological capitals of the world, but I can find a Sys Admin for either of my two offices :mad:

Lack of IT work my ass :o

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Lack of qualified IT workers :o

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

I was about to move to florida for a storage admin job. This company paid a lot! I mean NYC type pay down in FL.

There has to be thousands of consultants that claim to be SA's, and maybe a couple dozen who truly are. Can't find any of those?

4. Scoob_13

Not any that are worth their salt. I've found 1 (yes, 1) that had the technical skills, but he just didn't mesh well with the company :hs:

And yeah, NYC pay in FL (well, parts...real estate is expensive where I live) would be awesome :coold:

5. Scoob_13

Actually, I'd kill to find someone in SW Georgia for our office there - if I can get someone there, then I could get back to all of my projects that need to be done.

There's only so many times that I can pull >24hr shifts in a month :o

6. keleko

keleko yes, he is

i'm a sys admin

i'm looking for (better paying) work than what i have now*

i'm in florida (southeast anyway, as requested)

* shhh, col_panic!

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thats because you're either not paying enough to interest qualified people, or you haven't advertised in appropriate locations.

Are you on monster, and what salary are you offering? I'm from Atlanta, and 6 months ago I had people with every certification you can imagine wanting to eat my ass for $50K.

8. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

can someone explain what sys admin actually does?

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i was lucky to get a summer sys admin job at a local VW dealership this summer :big grin:

Computers & Cars FTW :big grin:

10. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Get me a working visa and I'll do it. :o

11. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

:mamoru: at 20 :mamoru:

A GOOD sys admin has lots of working knowledge & schooling all depending in what area they specalized in.

I know the sys admin at my University are fucktards. They are behind on everything, and well, since a lot of our security & administration courses are learn by doing (in our labs) we like to apply it to their labs. :wiggle:

12. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Why not? Most places hire underqualified or just complete retards who don't do it right anyways. I have sufficient education, but as always the lack of experience kills me. I'm sure I can adamantly hande any pc duties not related to programming.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This post is complete bullshit. I know. I've interviewed a hell of alot of System Administrators in the Atlanta area in the last 6 months. The salary offer was about 45-55K, depending on experience. We were overwhelmed with responses after posting the add on two jobsites. The filtering process was really difficult because we had about 35 qualified and very interested applicants. All of the final 20 had Cisco Certs, MSCEs, experience, many had college BS's in CS, etc.

So you are doing something terribly wrong.

Fill in the appropriate checkbox:

( ) I want a talented professional that has years of education and experience, but I don't want to pay him shit.
    ( ) I have not publicized the empty position adequately
    ( ) I am an idiot, and have no idea what I'm talking about. I hope I get cancer.
    ( ) The job I am offering is a piece of crap, requiring only the basest of skills and repettion.
    ( ) The company I am hiring for is a highly undesirable place to work.
    ( ) I have serious BO.
    ( ) I am unwilling to hire a relatively inexperienced youngster who will have to learn as he goes, even though my payscale dictates that this is the only employee I can possibly afford.

;)

Again: You're full of shit. I would know.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

;)

You ever come across an asshat that has NO idea what he's talking about, is morally repugnant, and you just REALLY do know what you're talking about, and you just drop the knowledge bomb on his ass all self-righteous like in a funny manner, and it brightens your day for like 20 minutes?

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Okay, since I've now unloaded on you and busted a good nut I am somewhat less stressed.

Post your job listing, with required qualifications, skills, experience, education, and salary here in this thread. If I am wrong about you, and you are not an asshat, then I know many people in Atlanta that are more than qualified to help you out.

So put up, or shut up. Really, I'm not a dick. OKay, I am. But on the slim chance that you aren't an asshat, I know some people that are looking to jump ship, some consultants that are always looking for new dedicated support contracts, etc.

Sincerely,
    UglyFace

16. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

you don't think i'd be gone for the right opportunity? do what you gotta do

17. Scoob_13

What in the hell?

And please note the locations that I've mentioned: SW Georgia - Valdosta, to be exact, and NW Florida - Destin, to be exact.

IF I were in a large city that obviously has a wide IT workforce to choose from, it wouldn't be bad. I literally just started with the company 8 weeks ago - they brought me in from Dallas to do the job. They have found no one locally to either places, and I'm now out hunting for someone for them due to the fact that I've got to get someone else that can help with our projects that knows our choice of systems (complete MS/HP/Cisco shop).

The issue is that we're an extremely fast growing company that is utilizing a lot of new technology - stuff that Microsoft has only just introduced the the marketplace - combined with a massive infrastructure investment, it tends to cause a lot of growing pains.

We have job postings on Monster - we get tons of hits, and a buttload of resumes, but the candidates can't seem to back up their claims of being SMS gods, or Exchange experts, or whatever their listed specialties are - and it's completely a geographic issue.

We're not paying chump change, either. The pay is better than Sys Admin pay out in Dallas, I can promise you that :o

18. Scoob_13

In this particular case, systems administration - configuring and maintaining all of the different systems that we employ to maintain and further our business, server setup and diagnostics, etc.

We also take care of the networking side of things, and I say "we" - there's my boss, and then me :p

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Okay, if you're actually not an asshat and you actually want someone that is highly skilled with so many different products... then why won't you post your listing here?

Its just free advertising for your open position. Why keep it a secret?

Cause to be perfectly honest, for $45K I had overqualified people begging me to let them move from Alabama.

20. Scoob_13

Links to their resumes? :o

And I haven't posted it here yet because A) every other time I've ever posted an open position, I've gotten squat for replies, and B) I know of maybe 10 or 11 people on here that are qualified for what I need and have the personality that we're looking for, and they already have jobs elsewhere :p

Although hey, tell you what, I'll go ahead and post it. Maybe there are some lurkers out there that would be great for it.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Please post it, and post the salary. I'm emotionally involved in your moral standing at this point.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You didn't post it. Are you gonna?

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I quit that job, and now I'm going to Bangalore soon to scout talent for my new comapny. I think I'll have more luck than you, for less money :big grin: By the way, since your vendors JUST released (supposedly) this technology you're using, I'm going to amend the list to include this option:

( ) Unrealistic expectations of skillset of mere mortal, and unwillingness to provide training, or time to learn new technologies.
    ( ) I have no idea how to evaluate technical people beyond whats on their resume, and how similar their personalities are to my other employees.

I leave it to someone else to check it for me. If what you're using is brand new... then it won't be difficult for one of the many qualified people you have sending you resume's to get up to speed real fast. I don't know if you're new to IT, but companies pay you to constantly learn new things and apply them. Thats why you can work in this industry without any formal training... like me. If you can't afford the time for them to do any learning, or training (really these caliber people should be teaching themselves, aside from procedures), then I tell you: you can't really AFFORD another employee.

With my initial funding, I get one person. And thats pushing it. Personally, I'm not looking for someone that has already done everything that I am doing in my rather large software project. If I could find him, I couldn't afford him. Instead, I'm looking for a young, hungry guy with initiative that has relevant, although not neccessarily exact experience, and that I feel will throw himself into the project with as much hunger and thirst as I am. It sounds like we're in similar positions. I think you seriously need to reconsider how you hire. Are you an IT Person? Good "hackers" are hard to identify by resumes and interviews... even for other good "hackers." Since your business is new, I will pass on one bit of information I read in an article by Kent the Beck, the father of Test-Driven development: "For your initial and most critical positions (all of them in a startup), if you cannot say about the person you are to hiring, "XXXX is an ANIMAL" at what he does... that drive and intensity... then move on.

My suggestion to you in lieu of your job posting (which I was TOTALLY unable to find on monster...), is to look at people with experience in similar things, and then evaluate their minds in interviews. Ask them an impossible question, and see how they answer it. Tests their problem solving ability. "How many plumbers are there in Atlanta?" would be a good one. Give no guidance, and there is no wrong answer. You just want to see that he can try to solve seemingly insurmountable problems. In some way. Rationally.

Okay, thats my entrepenuerial hiring spiel for the day. I think you're doing something terribly wrong.

24. EyeOfRa

EyeOfRa User Title

I hope there are a lot of sys admin jobs when I get out of school in a year. :)

25. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

I'm thinking its definitely a location issue. I was pretty desperate for work in the Atlanta area coming out of school but even I would have demanded a lot more money before shipping off to South Georgia or the panhandle of Florida. I could only assume that more experienced/older workers would have even less incentive to move especially if they've established a home/family/etc where they are.