SRS It's funny how things change.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deusexaethera, Jun 26, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Ten years ago, I could stay up all night and into the morning either playing Halo or writing computer programs, I couldn't wake up before noon, all I ate was ramen and broiled chicken, I rode my bike almost every day, and I listened to loud music in my car.

Nowadays, I play a rousing game of Civilization 4 maybe once every few months, I haven't written a program for personal use in a couple of years, I get up every morning so I can work and then I take a quick nap when I get home, I walk a few miles every night instead of biking, I'm all about some Middle Eastern food, and I listen to NPR on the way to work.

I still force myself to do things I used to do for fun every now and then, so I don't completely forget why I liked doing them in the first place, but my interests have drifted way off into left field compared to what they used to be. And you know what? I really don't mind that much.

Such is maturity, I guess; it's kinda like infinity in that it's not something you reach so much as something that you keep moving towards, so if nothing's changing you know you're doing it wrong. I remember in my 9th semester in college (late 2004) I was talking to this freshman girl (who in retrospect totally wanted to sleep with me, but I wasn't in the right frame of mind) and she said how great it was to finally be mature, to finally be an adult, to finally be out of the whole high school "drama thing" so she could relax and focus on living her life. I burst out laughing, which got a strange look from her, and after I regained my composure I explained that I thought the exact same thing at the end of high school, about how at that point I was finally fundamentally the person I would always be from there forward, and then I went to college and proceeded to continue changing and maturing so fast it made my head spin. She gave me another funny look and said "...really? So you're never really ever mature?" I said no, that's just a myth, maturity isn't a plateau you climb up to, it's the process of adapting to the changing circumstances of life fast enough that you don't get left behind. Then we went for a walk and talked about other stuff.

I shoulda banged her. :hsd:

2. kylio27

kylio27 New Member

Christopher Robin outgrew Pooh. He had Pooh when he was a child, then when he matured.........He didn't need him anymore.

3. Clancer

Clancer New Member

I really have a lot of issues with growing up :hs:

A lot of people have said I am/was really mature for my age, but Im a junior in college and do essentially the same things I did when I was a sophomore in high school. Growing up sucks and although Ive learned so much over the past 5 years of my life, it still seems weird that Ive lost so much of the innocence I once had

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about how things change; there are plenty of parts of my life that I'm happy to walk away from. I was just reminiscing a bit, I guess.

5. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

Good story

no homo

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Acting accordingly in alignment with reality is for me the definition of maturity. Because such is something you can only do based on experience, intelligence,stability and responsibility. If you lack any of those you cannot react in a fully mature way. Mature is therefore not such a good word, because it gives the wrong idea that states that after a certain age you mature indefinitly, while in reality many people will never mature even if they are 47 years old or older. I think many woman would 'like to consider themselves mature' while in reality they are emotional unstable timebombs, while many men would 'like to consider themselves as 'know it alls' while in reality their perspective lacks great amounts of perception to on how the world really works. Because maturity is such an intangible thing, its no wonder some Africans invent bizarre maturity rituals in order to lead their children into an adult future.