It's consensus that pre and post workout meals are the most imoportant

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Foty, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foty

Foty Active Member

But would it make sense that the majority of my calories come around my workouts mostly after, and before bed?

I eat at work, usually twice. They are smaller meals. If I'm getting enough calories to build mass should it matter when the bulk of my calories are consumed?

2. whoismrskantz

whoismrskantz Active Member

it's consensus that the 24 hour period after you workout is the most important and that it is 1:17am and OU still sucks

3. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

dont really matter

4. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

well if your burning off calories you have earlier in the day before you work out then yeah you should eat more before and after.

5. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I have read from a few sources that:

#1--the 2 most important meals are pre and post workout.
    #2--you should consume the largest portion of your daily calories within the 90 min window following a workout. (so if you have 5 meals, instead of 20% on each, you'd want 30% of daily cals consumed w/in 90 mins post workout.)

So I've read sources that back up what you are saying. But i don't have an answer for your questions, sadly. Starting in august, i'm going to try and tailor my diet into line a little more with those principles. Might not make a huge difference, but it seems like nutrient timing could at least be a slight positive tweak that would be easy to make.

:dunno:

6. Foty

Foty Active Member

damn lot of h-town reppin in here.

smb, I see what your saying. I'm inclined to think that If I'm feeding my body with enough calories to grow then timing shouldn't be too much of an issue. As long as my pre and post meals are what they are. A meal before and after my workout.

7. smb is me

smb is me New Member

You are probably right. But I've came to the conclusion that no one thing can make too much of a difference. Thats why its important to accumulate and apply all the little things that make a slight difference. And then hope for the best results possible. :x:

Plus, i'm sure you've read, your muscle are at their hungriest and BEST possible state to absorb nutrients within the first 45-50 mins after a workout. During this time you can feed them lots of proteins and carbs (within reason) without
    a) worrying about it spilling over and being stored as fat.
    b) and i forgot what i was going to put down as b.

but i'm just regurgitating info i've read off of other sites in the last week and a half. Not anything that i've been living by and seeing great results with. Hell, my before workout meal is @ 2pm, and I start my workout @ 5pm. This is part of the nutrient timing readjustment i am going to make and hopefully the slight improvement in diet will yield slight improvements in my physique.

8. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

and you will notice no difference. if you could find me one example of a guy struggling to get his physique right then doing pre and post workout was what made the defference.

9. smb is me

smb is me New Member

so then you are saying this whole idea of taking in a post workout meal consisting of carbs and proteins that this and every other nutrition site/article recommends is nonsense?

edit: ever post any pics, grim? your numbers in your log are impressive, and you're one of the people who seems to give very sound advice (i've followed some suggestions you've given me in other threads--i.e. you seem pretty knowledgable on this stuff). Always nice to have a visual image of whose advice you are accepting, tho.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  10. whoismrskantz

whoismrskantz Active Member

well it is somewhat important to get the magic 2:1 ratio "with in a hour of finishing your workout", the thing that will make the most difference is the 24 hour period after you workout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.