SRS It's been a year since I graduated college and I'm still in the same place.....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mars Princess, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

So a few months have passed since my last thread here and on OT. I've tried to make the best out of a bad situation and enjoy life. I took the advice of several people on here and aimed high when applying to jobs. I was looking over my documents last night to clean up my harddrive and I was going through the cover letters I had made for past companies. There were way too many files to count. They were cover letters to a variety of places -- schools, pharamacuetical company, a journal, call centers, regular places of business. I only got calls back from a few and the place I ended up at was a call center where I was treated like shit.

But, I guess a dream (sort of) came true and they released me for a quality score I tried to dispute to no avail. I am really sick of being a college graduate and working minimum wage or just above minimum wage. I can't seem to find a regular job where I sit at a desk and don't take what seems like a million calls a day. OT said that I didn't have enough confidence. Well how can I have confidence when I'm struggling to cover what bills I do have from month to month? It's been a year and I feel like shit. A friend moved to Los Angeles two months ago for a job where he is over store operations at a high end jewelry and accessories store. Meanwhile, I'm still stuck in Houston living with my parents, with no job and a looming student loan that's not going away anytime soon. I have no idea what to do about this job situation. It's making me feel like not doing anything. I have been fighting off depression but it's returning ever so slowly, making me not want to do much of anything because I feel it is hopeless

:wtc:

I fear I'll never be able to support myself and I'll be stuck in temporary jobs forever. This really isn't what I envisioned for my future.

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

What was your major? You have to be open to maybe moving away to find a better job they aren't always right on your doorstep.

3. Mars Princess

It was English and I've gotten a lot of flack over it, but I would think that I would be able to find some jobs, even if it was a paraprofessional position within a school district. There are a surprising number of technical writing jobs here in Houston, but more often than not, it requires you have extensive background in the field you are going to be writing for (I've seen lots of oil and natural gas technical writing positions here in Houston)

I have given some thought to moving, but am not sure how you would go about it. I mean, do you bring up the fact that you would need money to move or do most jobs just require you to take on the moving expenses? I can't afford an apartment right now, so I don't know how I will afford a move and the process of getting established wherever I'm going

4. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Major/GPA?

5. Mars Princess

Major was English. I don't remember the exact G.P.A. but it was below a 3.0 overall. In my major, I had over a 3.0 but other classes (and my own slack sophomore and junior years) kept it down. I didn't think G.P.A. mattered anywhere but graduate school programs, which I don't have the money to enter.

6. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

What about your credit and background? Have you been arrested? If you can't get hired ANYWHERE something must be wrong. Have you tried retail?

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

If what you've been doing isn't getting the results you want, change what you've been doing. Don't get discouraged and take it personally...I know, it is personal because you need money NOW! But seriously figure out what you want to do, specifically, then start working to get there.

I found a book called, Zen and the Art of Making A Living, to be very helpful. It helps one figure out what they want to do while addressing the whole issue of mind, spirit, body harmony and finding meaningful work in your chosen profession. It also helps you choose your profession....one that has meaning to you.

I'm sure it does suck to be 1 year out of Uni and still not be gainfully employed but hang in there. English isn't the best major for work right out of college and most Eng majors I know either went on to get advanced degrees or had degrees in other areas so they could find a job.

Perhaps you could pick up some technical skills at a Vo-Tech schools...this may help you get a better paying job to help pay your bills till you find the dream job you've always wanted....which may take more time to find.

Also, keep taking care of yourself. Regular exercise, plenty of sleep, eating well, these all can help you bear up under difficult circumstances. Hang in there.

8. Mars Princess

I was turned away from most retail establishments (probably because they saw that I had graduated and wouldn't be there long enough). I've been working in customer service and I am tired of it. I want an office/managerial job.

Word man. Thanks for the book recommendation. I have it in my head what I want to do, just not how to cope until I get to that point. I'll look for it today

9. Coottie

Since money is likely to be an issue, be sure to check your local libraries. I'm sure one of them either has it or will be able to order it for you.
    The ISBN is 0-14-019599-8

Also check out Tony Robbins book, Awaken the Giant Within
    ISBN 0-671-79154-0

Also when you're at the library, check out the cassette tape section. Often they have motivational speaker tapes that you can check out. These can really help to motivate you in new ways. Hang in there.....your dream job is just waiting to be discovered. You'll eventually find it.

10. Mars Princess

^

cool. I think I'm gonna take a day off after going out some today. I can't look at career and job search websites without feeling anxiety. I've been going at it since Sunday.

11. Mars Princess

I just want to be a success. I used to love staying home but now it drives me nuts. I like staying busy. My hobby is what I want to do with my life -- promoting my local music scene. I'm trying to get in touch with a cat to do Street Team. Me and him go way back -- He's had his experience with Clear Channel here in town and has extensive marketing experience. I'd like to work under him and at least get a connection//good reference from that. Also, I would be on my way to getting the experience I need to really promote or do some kind of marketing/advertising. In the meantime, I'd just like to make some cash. Seems the hardest part is finding the motivation to believe in yourself and demand what you know you deserve a chance at.

I've used excuses in the past, so I'm trying to formulate some kind of game plan. It's heart crushing to have to go down the street to CVS for yet another retail job. I would feel horrible and ashamed if one of my successful friends from high school came by and saw me there -- after all that time. :wtc:

12. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I mean no offense but I wouldnt hire someone to be a manager with an english major what managerial skill does that provide? I would think an english major would go for teaching or something :dunno:

Consider going back to school ever?

13. Mars Princess

I do not have money to do that. I met the borrowing limit and I already have over 40k in loans, so i'm not trying to get more right now. When I get a decent job, I will think of going back to school :)

14. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

When you submit a resume do you call them if they don't respond?

15. exile88

exile88 New Member

Have you considered some freelance work? One website that I have used in the past is elance.com you can also try guru.com. I'm sure there must also be others. You can start small and see if you can do well there. My first month on elance I got about 5 'jobs' and so I think if I could do it so can you.

I have to agree with what some other people said, why would someone hire you as a manager if you majored in English, unless you have some specific managerial skills. I really think you should look into the technical wrtiing some more. Freelancing will help you to build up your portfolio and open some better doors in the future.

Anyway, I feel like I can understand your situation really well, because I'm somewhat in the same boat as you.

Good luck.

16. daaarn

daaarn New Member

That sucks. I also recently graduated with a liberal arts degree and can vouch for the pretty low pertinent job prospects after graduation. Right now I work at my part-time job I've had through out school but am looking for other prospects. I intend to enroll in graduate school some time in the near future, and I really suggest you look into that possibility sometime when you can manage it. At the very least, if it's of interest, you might want to consider getting a teaching certificate and go into that.

17. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Why did you get an English major if you want to do promotional stuff? You don't have the correct degree and it is slim that you will get hired with it. Honestly, why didn't you look at what type of jobs you could get and how much growth is in the area before you got the degree.

These days to get a good job you have to go to grad school. Why don't you go back to school for a few more years, then you will be able to get a better job.

18. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

hey maybe right now you can pick up a job that just pays something nice, like some office clerk job, maybe customer service, HR, or something (offering things that wouldn't be minimum wage)? and while working part time try and get a internship with something related to English and what you would want to do, like journaling or with some magazine company or w.e....? i know it's not optimal, but it's the best i could think of.... :hs:

19. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

look into this book: What color is my Parachute?

It's about finding your dream job and how to actually get there.

20. mrj

mrj New Member

I don't understand how so many people graduate college having NEVER worked in the field they'd like to work in.
    I had internship offerings everywhere. My first IT job was an internship with Lockheed Martin when I was 16.

I had even more internships offered in college, typically for goofy things, but they gave me experience.

You spent, what, at least 4 years in college and never, ever worked in the field on any level?
    Research? Anything to put on your resume?

Did you think that you'd walk the aisle with a goofy hat and receive a degree that would kick-start your life?

I'm not sure what advice to give you, other than use every resource available. Craigslist, dice, monster, careerbuilder..

Wait until you're looking for work in the 80-120k range, that's fun. Finding a job that pays double or triple minimum wage isn't difficult at all.

Landing a dream job is fantastic, but right now resume builders should be your priority - hate to be negative, but you won't find a "dream job" unless
    some one upstairs wants to shine his golden flashlight on you. Most of us work to survive.

21. Mars Princess

I;m not looking to land my dream job at the moment. I just want a job that is not shitty and doesn't have me working under people who pretend to string sentences together. I need to pay some bills. During college, I had one internship but it wasn't in my degree. It was in sports marketing, of all things. It was fun, but I also learned a lot. I thought this would provide me with enough office experience and marketing experience to get an entry-level position somewhere, where I have more important duties than what I have been previously assigned in my past jobs. I took that internship so I could have some practical experience, because prior to the internship I worked in retail and customer service. I was hoping that the internship and the references from that internship would help me out in the long run, since I didn't have any research or major works written to put on my resume.

I switched my degree from psychology to English for the simple fact I couldn't see myself doing the kind of work I was doing in my upper level psychology courses (and pay for it for that matter) I had already taken enough courses for a major in English so I switched to that. I figured I would get some kind of job to start off with, but I haven't had much luck. I've applied for a number of different things in different fields. No positive outcomes.

When I was in high school, I didn't work but throughout college I took several part-time jobs. I have work experience, just not experience at one or two positions over several years. I've tried different ways to advertise my skills that I have gained from these jobs. I need more oversight on my resumes I guess because for one reason or another, I'm not standing out as a candidate. the times I have gotten to the second interview, I'm only left disappointed from not being called back in or given a job offer.

It's more difficult to find a job that pays double or triple minimum wage for me. Just because you lucked out and happened to get the opportunities you got doesn't mean the same should and will happen for me. Some of us have to work to work for a living. I know it;s not hopeless. It's just depressing. I want to have something to show for all the time I've put into getting to a point where I thought I could be an attractive job candidate.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  22. mrj

mrj New Member

It sounds like you got a degree in English just to get a degree and get a job.

Or are you actually interested in some spectrum of the English field?

And I'd highly not recommend assuming that someone who is doing well "lucked out" - it's a matter of drive, ambition, and knowledge. If you think I don't bust my ass on a daily basis to maintain my status, you're gravely mistaken. I'm 22 and compete with 40 year olds for positions. I interview with HR managers that see that I'm "a kid", and will make twice what they make. Believe me, everyone "works" to "work" whether you're making $6 or $60.

If life were easy, we'd all be driving Ferraris.

23. Mars Princess

There really isn't a field for English, unless by that you mean the traditional fields of writing, communications, editing, publishing, and teaching to a lesser extent. I thought of going into teaching, but figured I would try my hand at getting into a company that I could grow in. My parents are teachers and I didn't want to go down that route at first. Teaching or work within a school district is now presenting itself to be a more sensible option than what I set out to do. I don't know how I will fair if I can't get a job giving general office support, but we shall see. I've already applied to one position within the Houston Independent School District and plan to apply to a few more. For job security. And summers off (to work at something different, if need be).

I don't want life to be easy. I just want a chance to do something that isn't barely above minimum wage. He made it sound like it should be simple to find a job that is double minimum wage when it really hasn't been. IT's been frustrating to get into an office through a temp job, but I've ocme across this company, Reynolds and Reynolds , that appeaers to have a variety of professional positions to place people within.

I'm doing my best to just keep working at getting work and being positive. Some days, you just don't want to try, ya know what I mean? I didn't realize it would be this difficult.

24. Coottie