It's amazing how much difference form makes.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hootpie, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I just finished reading The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold and really focused on improving my form according to what he wrote.

The main exercise my form sucks on is curling. I realized after reading the book that I wasn't keeping my elbows stationary (therefore using the front deltoid to lift the weight) and I wasn't squeezing at the top of the curl. I adjusted that and went from (in this order):

Incline DB Curls
    8 reps of 30
    8x35
    8x45

Standing BB Curls
    8 reps of 50
    8x60
    8x70 (and sometimes 80 depending on how I felt)

to this

Standing BB Curls
    15 reps of 40 (warmup)
    12x40
    10x50
    6x60 (biceps felt like they were on fire at this point)

Incline DB Curls
    8 reps of 20 [​IMG]
    8x20 [​IMG]
    6x20 [​IMG]

And to top it off, my biceps are already sore and it's only been ~4 hours since I went to the gym vs. possibly not even getting sore at all with the way I was doing it before.

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Yea most people dont curl right, like some guy I work with was like OMG I curl 90. But he also deadlifts like 95lbs so Im just give him a weird look every time he says that.

3. hootpie

hootpie New Member

:rofl: @ 95lbs...that's the weight I used when I deadlifted for the first time and was trying to figure out the form.

I'm WAY more strict with my form when it comes to deadlifting/squatting/bent-over rows/GM's/benching and other exercises where I might hurt myself with poor form.

4. LancerV

Yea it was one of the worst times in the gym ever, than for like week after he kept saying he hurt his back. I was like if you hurt your back of 95lbs I feel sorry for you

5. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

for some reason my squat form is still horrible, my knees wobble everywhere and I've been trying to fix this for forever. I keep leaning farther back but then i feel like im just going to fall over backwards

6. Pringles

Pringles New Member

ya right now i'm working on my squat. For some reason when I do it I get lower back pains maybe after a week or two of doing it. I stop and they go away.

7. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

we probably both lean to far forwards and dont have the weight on our heels
    unfortunately knowing this does not seem to help me correct it very well

8. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Try adjusting your stance and/or which way your feet point. If you point your feet slightly outwards, try pointing them straight ahead. If you have a narrow stance, try going a little wider, if you have a wide stance, try narrowing it a bit. I had to play around with different stances/feet directions before my squat became comfortable.

Back pains as in you're hurting yourself or back pains as in muscle soreness? If it's the hurting kind, you are probably rounding your lower back. If it's soreness, you are probabling GM'ing the weight up. Either way, try not to pull your elbows back when you squat, make sure you are looking forward/up when you squat the weight up (and drive with your heels), and keep your back straight. Don't let your lower back do all of the work.

Edit: You can also try placing a 10lb plate underneath your heels to help you lean back farther without falling over.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  9. LancerV

Do you do any single leg excercies? Single Leg Squats, Lunges etc?

10. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

Just curious how this helps. I just started single leg lunges last week.

11. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

uofapeter: try watching some squat vids and create a mental checklist of what you see. if you aren't getting it right, make a vid of your squat and people here will help critique form.

kit99bar: preface- I don't have a great "how" or "why" but heres my take. Unilateral movements are great for finding weakspots and as you've probably learned weakspots are big causers of bad form. They also help promote balance... could be alot of things. But the shortstory is just keep 1 legged movements in your routine. Be it a 1 legged lunge, or squat, or many others

12. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

word this helped me a ton.

13. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

it wont. if youre having problems sitting back without falling over its weak hamstrings/glutes/lowerback. its hard to learn to squat correctly without someone thats really good at squatting. even then and with a whole crowd of good squatters that know what to look for giving you cues on every rep it still takes a while to get it 100%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.