It worked fine yesterday... (Internet problem)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by m0nk3y, Oct 9, 2007.

1. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

Loaded XP 64 yesterday (if you don't like xp64, that's great- go flame elsewhere), everything works aside from the rear two channels of my 5.1 sound (32 bit driver) and the left monitor flickers a bit until the tray programs are finished loading.

Those, I can deal with for now.

Networking, on the other hand stops me from working. I can connect to other machines (I'm posting this from my workstation, using VNC to get to my laptop), I've got an IP and I can ping any website. I've tried flushing the dns, going directly to ip address instead of dns name, reloading the driver... same issue. Any thoughts?

The board is a GA-M55SLI-S4 Rev.1 (nForce4)

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You'll get much less flaming for using XP64 than for using Vista anything, at this point.

Sounds like Internet Exploder isn't configured to automatically detect connection settings.

3. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

Really? That's a relief :p

Once I get this working, I've got an 80 gb partition for Ubuntu... A little background, this is my graphic workstation (I own a design/retail company) and I upgraded from xp32 after upgrading to 4gb ram and having problem after problem with 32- something fubar'ed it. I've considered going back, but I would like to get this going. It's a 4200+ 64x2 with 4gb 800Mhz DDR2, 512mb dual-dvi nvidia PCI-e card (with dual 19" Flatpanels), 2x250gb SATAII drives, etc...

I considered vista, but after using it on my laptop (Athalon 64) for a day, I decided against it.

As far as IE, I've tried every possible setting (and I'm using firefox). Also, AIM doesnt work (nor bittorrent, or my AVG updater, etc...)

4. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

Just installed a WUSB54GS linksys card, works fine... The question here is, am I going to keep running into little issues? So far, aside from the compatibility issues I'm impressed with XP 64- it's quicker and utilizes all my RAM.

With this machine, reliability is key- should I just go back to 32 and mess around with ubuntu until I'm ready to switch over?

5. deusexaethera

1. What is your IP address?

2. x64 will get more reliable as time goes on, because that's what the industry is moving towards. First goes the hardware, then goes the OS, then go the applications and drivers. It can't happen in any other order.

3. Use Kubuntu instead. KDE's interface is nicer than GNOME's interface at this point. GNOME seems to be stuck in this Mac OS 9 paradigm that nobody but them uses anymore.

6. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

I'm going back to 32, this is the last post from xp64.

I need reliability more than anything else... I've got 2 250gb HDs, I can always partition and load a couple OSes to test out, or swap out.

I've used both KDE and Gnome, used gnome primarily for 5 years... kinda prefer it, it's what i know

7. deusexaethera

You've already god the 64 bit, just fucking keep it and wait six months. Drivers that work with Vista will work with 64-bit XP. Just give it time.

Or you can switch back to 32-bit XP and become more outdated as time goes on.

- - -

There's nothing to learn with KDE. That's the beauty of it. You don't have to get used to where things are and how things work because it's intuitive to begin with.

8. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

On a production machine with other issues that runs 80% of the essential functions of my business? Are you mad?