It there any software/ hardware that can...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StabMasta, Oct 24, 2003.

1. StabMasta

StabMasta Guest

record telephone conversations? I'm trying to get full custody of my son and I need some evidence that will convince the judge that my ex is a complete bitch.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Any answering machine will do it. Your evidence will be thrown out though unless both parties are aware of you recording.

In Canada, only one party needs to know :wiggle:

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd: Your recordings are useless unless she knowingly accepts in writing or on the tape.

I tried this, and the judge laughed me out of the courtroom.. It'll only help you lose.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

This rule has been around for a long time...

I'm not sure about the answering machine trick. I know mine won't unless there's some tweaking involved (which actually is usually a lot of fun).

Another approach is Radio Shack/Scap/Shaq/whatever has or had this suction cup thing that you attach to the phone and it had a cable that you could plug a tape recorder into. Thats an option.

If you're too cheap to do this and you don't mind playing with electronics and maybe destroying a cheap phone, you could wire inline with the receiver and mic a pair of wires to a stereo earphone cable. One side of the conversation would literally come out of one speaker side and vice versa for the other side of the conversation. I did this back in the day when I was experimenting with recording and playing back 2400bps calls.

The ultimate would be a wire tap. Ideally on your ex's phone. But there's legal issues involved and it would take some serious creativity to pull it off legally.

After this, you start getting into the illegal stuff like phone phreaking and the collection of tricks you can do there. If there's wireless phones involved, there's some other tricks you can do with HAM radios. By FCC standards this is illegal as well (the radios are not sold setup to do this and would require some tweaking - making the radio illegal technically speaking).

If you're still reading, and you're still serious about recording the conversations: FIND A LAWYER FIRST!

1. There's kids and feelings involved. You don't want to do something that will mess this up.
    2. You don't want to spend extra energy doing something (like phone recording) that won't help you in the long run.
    3. The lawyer can tell you how to do this legally and if it would even stand up in court.

5. StabMasta

StabMasta Guest

Thanks guys.

This chick is nuts and my son is only two. I'm doing this for him so he'll have a better life. The first time she served me with a restraining order (which I beat in court) the cop told me only 1 person needs to know that you're being recorded, he said that one person can be me. I'm currently messing around with this program, but I can't get it to work. :(

http://www.spyclock.com/recording-phone-on-pc-.html

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I could be wrong, but ask a lawyer before a cop.

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'd double check with a lawyer as well. Or read up on the laws on this.

Note to self: Why would companies tell you they MIGHT record the call for quality assurance if it was only legal for 1 party (themselves) to know they were recording it? Think about this for a moment and then find someone who knows the books.

In my opinion, you have too much at stake to try risking this without knowing how it will hold up in court. And as someone already mentioned - it wasn't recieved like they were expecting it and it sounded like it might have made matters worse. Just be an adult and play by the rules and things should work out (and again, get a lawyer to verify which rules you can play with if you're still serious about this).

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

My understanding is that you either have to inform the other party or play a beep every x seconds (really, no kidding). But you also need to check state laws:
    http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

as for the software: go hardware. More reliable for this type of stuff (unless you happen to have a PBX in your house that supports call monitoring). You can find plenty of stuff to do this.

9. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Do yourself the favor. DON'T BELIEVE THE COP. He is COMPLETELY wrong. Believe someone who has been down the EXACT SAME ROAD.