IT service contracts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by darkjedi, Jan 28, 2009.

1. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

does anyone here run their own business with IT service contracts for small to medium sized businesses? I'm looking to get into it and I have one contract setup so far but am having troubles finding more. anyone have any advise on what works and what doesnt?

2. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

How are you going structure it? X amount for X hours per month? The company I used to work for had service contracts. We usually had 2-4 visits per month for a few hours each, which was mostly maintenance stuff. Most projects were billed separately. We usually just lowered the hourly rate for the contracts, so if we charged $100 an hour, we'd do it for ~$85 an hour if they signed monthly agreements.

We also did service contracts for specific servers and workstations we sold, but that was a fucking nightmare.

3. darkjedi

well right now I charge $85/hr for on-call support... my main question is whats the best way to find more clients? is there a specific sales/marketing plan that your company followed to get more clients?

4. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Oh shit, I was taking the word "contract" literally. I thought you already had a client base and you were considering offering monthly support contracts.:o

I had my own consulting business for awhile, but it was very hard to find clients so I ended up just doing most of it on the side and working a real job.:hs:

Tips I can offer, network, make as many friends as you can, people who know lots of other people. You can also try direct mailing, which is pretty cheap for the exposure you get, but I never drummed up much business that way. You can also go door-to-door and talk to businesses who will listen. Put a little flyer/portfolio together and hand it out with some cards.

What are you capable of? Are you a systems guy or a networking guy? Are you proficient with Microsoft products, Cisco?

5. darkjedi

I have 1 tech that does all the work for me right now, I have a full time job. I'm capable of anything microsoft/cisco but he's the main guy that will be doing most of the work.. So direct mailing doesn't work well? I was thinking of buying a list of new businesses that just started up in my area and then doing a direct mailing to about 200 new businesses..

also, I havent tried posting up craigslist ads. but the many ads I've responded to - i've never gotten a single response back.

6. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

You might have better luck with direct mail than I did. I never tried CL, but it couldn't hurt. Door to door stuff worked better for me, but I hated doing it. 99% of the small client base I had/have came from friends and contacts.

7. darkjedi

so you just bill for 10hrs regardless of wether it goes over or under? what is your hourly rate?

8. darkjedi

ahh so basically 10hr minimum is a 'retainer' type fee.. So how did you get the contracts? did you do mail-outs or what?