GUN it saddens me to see people that can't shoot trying to teach new shooters...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by saxman, May 14, 2008.

1. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

Was at the range tonight blowing off some steam. Folks in the lane next to me set up and start shooting. 2 guys and a girl. The girl obviously had never shot before, as one of the guys was working her through the basics. He seemed to offer her no instruction other than point that way and shoot, and had her starting on .45 .

I very badly wanted to step in, and offer her some pointers, but didn't want to be "that guy" at the range that bothers everyone else, and my time was up anyway. :hs:

2. Initial E

Initial E New Member

dont worry about being 'that guy' if the instruction they were providing was inadequate and could've led to someone at the range or in their party getting hurt.

I would like to think anyone who appreciates shooting as a sport would a like to receive a pointer or two.

oh... and was she hot? haha

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think he did just great. The last thing I want to do is ruin a new shooters first time out by going "lean in, you're trigger pull is all wrong, spread your legs, don't eject your mag like that!" There's plenty of time to develop good shooting skills, but the first time out is about safety and fun. All I typically do is give the new shooter several walkthroughs on loading, unloading, and using the gun and try to drill the 4 rules in their head. When we get to the range we do a quick review and then I'm there to answer questions if they're asked and be sure the shooter is safe. They all have fun and want to go again and learn to shoot.

4. reman

reman New Member

I would have gave them some pointers. So far I have converted 4 people into the shooting sports.

5. Bobula

Bobula Fairly Useless

What range were you at?

6. saxman

Jackson Arms

I'm not suggesting some sort of nazi training ritual trying to get her to shoot perfect. But a simple "hey, this is how to hold the gun so you have a good grip on it, focus on the front sight, and squeeze the trigger" sort of thing would have been nice.

What disturbed me more is that he kept trying to give her pointers on how to shoot better. He was also shooting at a man sized target at 7 yards, and was grouping somewhere in the three foot range.

It was an odd night at the range... the "pink pistols", a gay rights shooting organization was there. Was odd seeing a tranny blasting away on a target... and then pointing out all of the rounds that would have been groin shots.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sounds awesome, <3 pink pistols

8. saxman

Most of them were there to shoot, kept to themselves, etc.

The tranny in the group was much louder, very outspoken, and was hellbent on rapid firing as much as possible.

It was an odd experience.

I, unfortunately, was shooting like crap. Some times it just doesn't want to cooperate. Had a lot of stuff on my mind. Started to tighten things up by the end of my hour though.

9. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

You're going to get hate for that...

10. saxman

Meh... had a lot on my mind. Focusing on shooting accurately, etc, helps clear my mind. Shooting can be a good stress reliever.

11. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

I hear you son, Id say I went through about 500 rounds of 9mm during finals week this spring.

12. saxman

I was shooting mainly .22lr today, just to keep it affordable.

Shot a bit of 9mm, maybe 50 rounds or so, and probably about 250 .22lr.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my first experience with a handgun was a .45acp (para) and I don't think that's a bad way to start.

As for instruction, as long as they're being safe, then who cares?

14. saxman

most women that are apprehensive about shooting in the first place, should probably not be handed a .45, and then not corrected on a grip that's going to make it an even more startling experience.

She was safe in that she probably wasn't going to shoot herself(although was hitting the ceiling out at about 20 yards pretty often), but it's certainly not a good way to leave a positive impression.

15. saxman

There's a difference between saying "you have to do it this way, this way, this way, and this way" and saying "well, if you put your hands like this, it'll work better for you"

the situation I was observing is like when a bunch of guys hand their gf's the biggest gun possible, and then laugh when they cry from the recoil. Only they're also offering tips on how to hit the target, ironically from someone that would be getting tighter groups from a shot gun.

16. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Whenever I take a new person to the range I go over the 4 rules and at least proper grip (don't want them slicing a thumb) and make sure they know how the sights "work" before we get there. Then once we get there I let them shoot at the back of a target. Once they get comfortable with shooting then let them shoot at an actual target. No sense in getting them discouraged from the beginning thinking they can't shoot.