IT Networking questions...homework

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Project X, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Project X

Project X New Member

Hey I need some help with these networking questions for my class. I appreciate your help.

(1) You are networking a new organization that has eight departments. Because it is new, it has no existing network infrastructure. From an ISP, the organization receives a class B 130.165 network number. Guided by the information in the table below, suggest how you will organize IP addresses
    within the organization, i.e., how addresses will be divided across the departments. The ‘expected growth’ entry means the expected number of new host nodes added per year in the department.
    Dept Name Number of Hosts Expected Growth
    1 12 2
    2 63 4
    3 171 4
    4 8 1
    5 249 10
    6 97 10
    7 58 3
    8 127 8

(2) A host at address 192.168.27.105, located behind a NAT gateway whose address is 137.65.20.02, contacts a server site 129.75.21.33 via UDP in 12 hops. Show the UDP pseudo-header for the packet as it leaves the originating host, and again as it is seen by the receiving web server. Assume,
    for this exercise, that UDP checksums are not computed.

(3) One host sends a message to another. Suppose the message is large and gets sent as five separate packets. What difference, if any, will there be in the memory requirements at the receiving end’s transport layer if the packets are sent via UDP or TCP? What difference, if any, will it make to the application receiving the message?

(4) Suppose we are sending data that consists of blocks of five ASCII characters at a time. Each byte uses simple parity, i.e., has a parity bit. We know that simple parity can detect, but not correct, single-bit errors in each byte. Using only simple parity, develop a method for detecting and correcting
    a single-bit error in the block.

(5) IP packets have a minimal overhead of 20 bytes per packet. Suppose we send a 1 Mb file via IP datagrams using (a) 1024 bytes per packet, (b) 40 Kb per packet, over a 10 Mbps link. Compute for each case the effective throughput.

2. Balzz

Balzz N54 Elitist OT Supporter

Mmmm...pair of titties.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member