MIL It military my thing, or not?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeffreyliu838, Feb 6, 2008.

1. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Hey guys, I'm really thinking about joining the military, but I'm not sure if it's THE thing for me. We have a career day kinda thing, and I'm debating between doctor (infectious diseases) or military. I'll list out some traits, I guess. I'm 15 right now, btw.

No problem being treated like dog shit. At all.

7 minute mile time

Pretty apathetic. No problem obeying orders. Like in that one episode of Malcom in the Middle, I'm like Reese. The world's happiest tool (as long as the work doesn't require thought).

Good shot. I've only fired 2 different rifles ever on a couple of occasions, but I'm an excellent pistol shot. I shoot isoceles.

Bad penmanship. I'm trying to improve through the use of stencils (sad, I know) though.

Good with uniforms. Former boyscout, in the Police Explorers thing.

Don't like talking, and kinda reclusive. It's not like I don't have friends though. It's like. I don't like making people my friend, but I have no problem having other people make me their friend.

Don't like being oily. I hate having lotion or oil on me. It's such a nasty feeling.

Mensan.

If height and weight matter, I'm somewhere between 5 7 and 5 9. I know it's broad, but I've no idea. I weigh somewhere between 130 to 140.

EDIT: I have bad eyes. Can't believe I forgot this, lol. I'm under 1000, but I'm over 800. Right now the PRK surgery recommendation thing is 800, I think. 4 years ago, eye surgery wouldn't be used on people with over 300, so there's hope. Besides, I'm correctable to 20/20, and besides a self diagnosed small (but medically sound) bladder, I'm good to go.

Sooo...Is military my thing? Will the military help me become a doctor? I think that being in the military is quite an impressive thing, and looks good on a resume. And that GI bill will come in handy, too. Can't forget, a military ID gets you laid. Or so I've heard.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

The tuition assitance while you are in the military, and the MGIB for your studies after the military was worth it for me. Its only 4 years of your life, and it'll by you some time to really figure out what you want to do. You can also knock out nearly 1/2 or all of your undergraduate degree and you don't pay a dime (besides books). I think its worth it...at least in my experience with the USAF.

3. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

You are 15, you won't even be able to recognize the person you are now in 2 years. So just make smart choices from here out and leave all the options out there available to you, and don't fuck it up over some childish mistake. It's good to do your research now and be looking into career choices already, I didn't realize highschool was an accumulative thing from the day you walk in to the day you start applying for schools till it was too late. ( I just graduated early 2 weeks ago)

As for the military, I think it can help anyone out with college and advancing their career as long as they have relevant goals which they are willing to pursue. I'm doing it because it's something I've always wanted to do, and all this extra money as well as what I'm gonna be saving in college will add up and be useful when I get older and actually need it.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Your vision will probably keep you out of the military until it is corrected surgically. My oldest son couldn't join until six months after his eye surgery. His pre-surgery vision was similar to yours.

Since your eyes are still growing/adjusting, you probably won't be able to get eye surgery until after you are 18. Before you get the surgery, talk to a recruiter to find out the latest restrictions/requirements on eye surgery. Some types are allowed and some aren't. It will probably change before you are old enough to have it done.

Good luck!

5. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Wow, thanks for the response, guys.

I know it's early to decide, but this is just for research, and why research something that I'm not suited for, right?

Soaked and sandy are no problem for me. I like the beach =)

I have no problem talking or listening. I just don't like talking. Like. If someone talks to me, I'll talk back, but I won't take the initiative to talk unless I have to.

I'm part of the LASD Explorers, so I get all that rank stuff. Work as a team, you guys are one platoon, one guy messes up, you all mess up, blah blah. I actually enjoyed that, since it was so mindless, lol.

Again, thanks for the input. Appreciated.

6. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

ROTC son, :mamoru:

7. shiba

shiba Active Member

Lets just wait to see if you get into college first. If you do, go pursue a MD, If not, go talk to your recruiter.

8. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

:werd:

you've got a lot to figure out about yourself in the next few years, just work on that for now, and staying in school/out of trouble, all that good stuff.

if you have the desire and means to go to college after high school, do not pass that up. the military will always be here and will always need people, and going to college gives you the option of seeking a commission.

9. s3rca

s3rca New Member

uh , what?

10. evan2

evan2 Guest

Word man, I just flash chicks my military ID and the fellate me on the spot....its awesome

11. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

yup i was gonna suggest that. sounds like hes a perfect fit.