It kills me to ask for help v.Audigy 2 install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrmephistopheles, Sep 10, 2006.

1. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

I'm no newbie when it comes to PCs and building them (beeing tinkering since '92-93), but I AM stumped.

Here's my rig:

WinXP Pro SP2
    Abit AN8
    AMD3200+ (winchester)
    2GB Corsair XMS
    Visiontek X850XT
    onboard audio

Picked up an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum on the cheap from someone whom I believe when they said it worked.
    Tried to install jsut the card and windows won't see it at all. Installed the front panel piece and everything else. Nothing.
    Tried many combinations of with onboard audio daughtercard in place and without.
    Tried manually setting IRQ for the card.
    It seems like as far as my mobo/windows is concerned, the card doesn't exist.
    I *do not* have another rig i can test it in, unfortunately.

Anyne have any suggestions?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If you've tried all of the slots, made sure its 100% seated, and it still doesn't exist, I'd say its a bad card.

3. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

sorry, yeah, tried both slots available (can't get to other because vid card is in the way) and have triple checked that it's seated.

Oh well.. if it's a bad card, the guy asked me to chuck it and he'll refund me. :hs:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Make sure your onboard audio is disabled before installing the card. Also, you have to install Creative's software before the card will be usable.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Usable yeah, but he should at least get a PnP pop-up and a bunch of ???'s in device manager w/o drivers. Disabling the onboard audio is a good idea but again it shouldn't make the card appear totally dead?

Have you run a utility like Aida32 that checks each PCI slot and tells you what, if anything, it detects?

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Unfortunately I don't remember what my Audigy 2ZS looked like in Device Manager before I installed the software. All I know is that it didn't do anything until I installed the software. If he hasn't done that, it would be good to try it before RMAing the card.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I seem to remember my Audigy was silent till I installed creative drivers also. I don't know if it was recognized by windows or not...but I didn't get any sound till the drivers were installed.