SRS It is phobia time again....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Stilgar1973, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

My definition of phobia (not to be confused with the clinical definition)
    Phobia - an irrational fear

Got that? IRRATIONAL is the key word. I already know it doesn't make sense.

When I was a kid I was diagnosed with arachnaphobia. I would wig out around spiders and centipedes.
    Some shit happened that brought it all to a head and when I was in the 7th grade, my parents took me to a kid shrink. More or less the spider side of it got straightened out. I don't want to say I am comfortable around spiders - I am not - but I won't go running out of the room anymore. If they are small enough I can ignore them and the bigger ones I can kill.
    Still though, don't look for me to do that put the spider on a piece of paper and toss him out the door thing.

The other side of this is the centipede thing. These damned things are so common they could be the state insect. The progress I made with spiders, I didn't make anywhere close to that much progress with these things.

After all these years being alive I have noticed a pattern to seeing these things. I don't see them at all in the late fall through winter. In the spring I begin to see them, most of the ones I see are quite small. In the middle to late spring I start to see them quite often. Quite often being described as as many as 3 a week. The summer they trail off. Maybe one a week, on a good week none. Then in the early fall they come back with a vengence. I see just as many as I saw in the spring - only they tend to be fairly big.

Yeah I know, I am kind of obsessed with them.

Over the winter I got married and moved into an older house. In the back of my mind I have known that I was in for trouble once spring came around.

Well, 2 evenings ago the games started. I walked into the bathroom with the light off and I saw one in the corner.
    I quickly turned around and went into the bedroom. I found some shoes. I went downstairs and asked my wife to come upstairs with me for moral support while I squished it.
    I went upstairs and turned on the light. I got my first good glimpse of it, turned around walked out the room and said to my wife, 'Dammit. I can't do it. You do it.'.

I couldn't. I looked at it and it was like all the circuits in my brain just fired at the same time. I wanted to jump out of my skin. When I was a kid I would go running and screaming into another room. That acomplishes nothing. That makes things worse.

It is maddening. I just couldn't kill it.

I'll say this though. I know my wife loves me. I mean, she took care of it like it was nothing and doesn't hold it against me.

My Mother has said something to me that echoes through my head at times like this. She has asked me what I plan to do when I have kids. The kids will look at me to be strong. They may freak out too.
    Truth is, I don't know how I will react. That kind of scares me.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your actions speak of irrational and absurd fear, what is needed in life is not fear, nothing can grow from that. Cast off your fear! Look forward! Go forward! Never stand still. Retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die.

Honestly , i saw this episode of mythbusters where they let this huge centipede walk over their arms, and they said it felt funny at most. What you need to do is to say to yourself 'That centipede/spider has more reason to be afraid of me, then i off them'

You really don't have to kill them either, i always capture them and throw them outside. But you know, these kind of phobia's are usually trigged by a very bad experience during your youth. And that's what makes me wonder if you really had a terrible experience during your youth which made you dislike spiders and centipedes in such a way.

3. I'm dead scared of being alone for the rest of my life. If that counts for irrational fear. Mine is more derived from being a loner all my life. So it sort-of makes sense that my fear exists there.

4. wack0

wack0 New Member

im scared of barf. emetephobia its called.

5. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

i HATE insects like, rollie pollies, spiders. i dont really have problems with ants or flies though, or centipedes. I cant touch them, but i mean i can squash them and shit. but yeah, i hate spiders.

6. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I'm extremely afraid of rats/mice. It's not *so* bad if I see them in cages, especially mice, but rats...god, their tails and their pointy faces, freak me the fuck out. When I was with my ex, we lived in an old house next to an old barn and had at least one mouse come around. The cats ended up chasing it while I hid under the covers. :hs:

7. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

I didnt know I how scared of heights I was until last summer. I got up on the roof of our house to help my dad re-roof it. As soon as I got up there I had a panic attack and my dad had to call 911 to get me down. I cant even get on a dining room chair without getting uneasy.

8. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

Cockroaches...I see one and I scream, shudder, and have gotten physically ill just seeing one of the nasty buggers. Nothing else bothers me in the bug world. Years ago I had a bf who had a pet Tarantula and I would let it crawl up and down my arm..but a cockroach, man, just the thought of one of those nasty, vile, ugly, yukky, slimy, icky bugs, makes my stomach lurch.