GUN it is a give that if you see someone at the range with a laser sight

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by hsmith, Aug 15, 2008.

1. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

they can't shoot for SHIT

:rofl:

laser in on the center of the target, once they pull the trigger the laser is almost off the target :rofl:

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

But they look so badass, which is really all that matters. :dunno:

3. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Lasers have heir uses. They work great on J-Frames.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Lasers; for the sight impaired.

Wait, why are sight impaired people shooting guns?

:dunno:

5. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

Maybe not for a primary sight but might be kind of handy if you are forced to shoot from an awkward position. I wouldn't fancy the Terminator longslide version these days but a little revolver with lasergrips seems like a sensible weapon to me.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

7. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

8. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Nearly all of the people I see with lasers are using the laser as the sole aiming device. They follow the dot until it's on target then try to sqeeze off a round in zero time without moving the pistol - which they can't do.

It's hard to articulate why I think people with laser sights seem to do so terrible with them. The dot is simply too precise for what the average person should try to accomplish with a pistol; the pinpoint precision of the beam seems to lead to worse results than consistent sight picture over irons.

Irons seem to have better use on pistols for a number of reasons:
    • The shooter goes for an average with pistol sights
    • The shooter is not distracted by the dot pinpointing a spot on the target smaller than the bullet
    • Because irons do not visibly reflect the small movements of the gun, the shooter is not trying to aggressively compensate for movements that otherwise average themselves out
    • Laser sights are generally more precise than even match-grade pistols using premium/handloaded ammunition, which seems to lead to shooters with average pistols/ammo chasing around natural, inevitable inaccuracies
    Those are my impressions. A laser sight on a pistol is sort of like using dial calibers accurate to within +/- 0.001" to check work from some tool that has a repeatable accuracy of +/- 2" ... and expecting to hold the dial-caliber tolerance!

That being said, laser sights have their uses, but I don't think they should be the primary sighting system.

9. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

i have a TLR-2 light/laser for my pistol. %99 of the time its only on my pistol at night. i have a relatively small house, so if theres an intruder, i have it for quick target acquisition. i dont take it to the range and try and hit a bullseye every single time. i just want to know that if that little red dot is on some ones stomach, theres a damn good chance hes losing an intestine, and i wont have to second guess putting a stray bullet through some ones bedroom (seeing as how im not too accurate :o )

10. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

In at least a couple hundred range trips I've never seen anyone with a laser

11. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

i actually only took mine to the range once... and that was to see how i handled the gun with the added weight on the front, i never even turned it on :o