IT Headhunters.....what's the deal :dunno:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, Jan 21, 2009.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I'm in the IT job market and have been getting constant emails and voice mails from headhunters, which I've basically been ignoring. Could this be a mistake?

I'm skeptical of them and get the "spammer" vibe from them. I know they're about on the same level as a used car salesman....

here's how my last experience with a used car salesman went.
    -Found exact car I wanted (My VR-4) about 2 hours away listed for $13,500
    -Went to test drive it and liked it
    -Offered $10k tax title and tags out the door
    -told him out right I had my own financing and wasn't interested in negotiating on monthly payments or any of that bullshit :squint:
    -he says they can't legally pay tax title and tags themselves, so I revised my offer to $10k minus the total cost of tax title tags :hsugh:
    -walked out
    -get a call next the day, $10k out the door, tax, title and tags....car is mine :hsd:

I'm wondering if headhunters may be useful if I take this same type of approach with them? Anyone of you OT IT people have success with the headhunters?

2. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Here's an example of the type of offers I get from them on a daily basis

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

never had a problem when I dealt with these headhunters before
    most of them are simply recruiters of consulting firms

but note that was way back when I was job searching, when nigerian scammers and such aren't a plenty

just be careful,.... ignore the ones that ask for money, placement fees, etc

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Not in this economy. Too few jobs, too many employees.

5. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

hmmm....so you've gotten jobs through them before?

These aren't Nigerian's and I sure as hell know better than paying for something like this. They're from legit firms like Robert Half, I'm more concerned about wasting my time or not (which may as well be money :o)

Thanks for the input

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yes. mostly Y2K jobs and various stuff during the internet boom

all that I've dealt with were serious enough to shoulder airplane and hotel expenses just for personal interviews,.. so i never did see it as a waste of time

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I get bullshit job sent to me I can't imagine anyone wanting, all the time. Fucking recruiters. Just filter the bad ones, and every once in a while a gem will come through.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

I got my current job like this about a year ago. Never met the recruiter face to face. I had to wade through quite a bit of garbage though and threaten a few that I'd mark them spam if the didn't stop sending java developer jobs in Texas (I'm a unix/storage admin in nj). Hell, I got my last 3 jobs his way. Lots of bs out there too, but good recruiter and jobs do exist.

9. SynergyCorp

SynergyCorp New Member

this is pretty common. they write to applicants because if they can fill the job hey get commissions

10. ge0

ge0 New Member

if you are goign to use a headhunter tho, use Robert half or McArthurs. I didn't use either, but I've heard of those who did and had great success.

11. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Avoid Robert Half like the plague - ive heard many bad stories about them and i also had a unpleasant experience with the way business was handled.

12. ge0

ge0 New Member

^^ Really? Everyone I know that used them were palced in fortune 500 companies... Frequency, what happened?

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Why would you want to be placed in a fortune 500 company? You like Dilbert a lot or something?

14. rocforce

rocforce Active Member

I'm in the exact opposite situation. I wish I was getting offers like that left and right. Send out 20+ resumes only heard back from like 2-3, then all rejected after that.

Sucks to be a new graduate in the middle of this economy :wtc:

15. Gilbutt

Gilbutt Last visit: 09-22-2006

It's definitely a tough economy. Do you have any work experience?

16. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

So I just posted a fake developer job on craigslist just to scope out and get an idea of the local competition

within 15 min got my first response :hsugh::hsugh:

17. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Have you created profiles and resumes on careerbuilder, monster, dic etc? That's where these are coming from. I wouldn't exactly call them offers though.

I had to work my ass off for 4 years @ $12 an hour when I first started. I single handedly developed an E-Commerce site which generated an annual revenue of > $3 million, and implemented a fully integrated and customized ERP system, while making roughly the same as the guy @ McDonald's flipping burgers :o. All of that experience has been extremely valuable on my resume though

18. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

wtf 12/hr? :rofl:

19. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Yeah, just above the poverty line (~$10/hr) :rofl: I think that # is a lot lower technically for someone who's single w/ no dependants but still :o

I was 17-21 at the time and still living w/ parents so it was enough to pay the bills, but still :ugh: for the job I was doing and $$$ I generated

20. rocforce

rocforce Active Member

ya,

I did QA, Web Programming, and IT type support. The previous 2 jobs were working at the Technology Department of our College. I did that shit for over 3 years.

Finished December 2008 with a degree in Computer Science. Unfortunately, the school job wouldnt let me work there anymore since they were student assistant positions, and well... i was no longer a student.

You would think that after working there for so long and building a good relationship with many of your coworkers, you would think that someone would notice and at least hook you up with a full time staff position.

Almost all of the student assitants at my school usually acquire a full time staff position upon graduating. I guess, I was just one of the unlucky ones :wtc:

21. rocforce

rocforce Active Member

Wow, thats pretty crazy. That definitely would look nice on a resume

I made a profile on dice, but not on Monster or Careerbuilder. I heard monster was crap with a lot of spam, and I haven't played around too much with careerbuilder.

For the past 2 weeks, its been careerbuilder, dice, my schools career center, staffing agencies and craigslist nonstop.

I've sent out 20+ resumes and heard back from 2. And one of them was for a pair of 19 year olds trying to start up a social networking site :hsugh:, and even those guys never responded back to me after my interview.

My resume or this economy (or both) must suck really badly lol

22. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

I've gotten jobs from emails sent by recruiters/headhunters before. If the job sounds interesting, do a little research on the company they say they're from to see if it's legit.

They probably do 'spam' the position to lots of people, it's in their interest to find leads, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are trying to scam you.

If it makes you feel better, draft up a resume that doesn't include your personal info and send it to them to see if they can set you up with a phone interview.