IT guys, network back up solution?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Matt2000ss, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

You guys have helped me out before by pointing me in the right direction for certain solutions. I could use yalls help again.

Our company started out very small but has grown alot. We started out using an early version of SmartSync to backup certain folders(My Documents) on user's machine to our local file server. That was fine for awhile, but now with about 300 user's its a pain in the ass.

We need something that we can manage from one server/console, and that we can pull reports from to see any workstations that are not backing up.
    also, we want to be able to immediatly restore files/folders.

It still only needs to be able to backup a few folders and doesnt need alot of extra fluff.

I've been googling and there is a shitton of backup software outthere. It seems tho that most are either to simple, cheap $ home pc type... or to advanced , expensive, with a ton of unneeded(for us) features.

got any recommendations?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

First, you should be hosting My Documents on the server directly, not backing up the user's stations. If you went in this direction, you only need to backup one location. And if it's strictly files you're backing up (no databases, no exchange), the backup utility on the server is fine.

What would be more beneficial is to understand what you're backing up, how much data there is now, how you will be expanding in the future, and how you're archiving now.

3. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

We've had most of the desktops My Documents mapped right to the server.

the primary concern is the laptops, they are the ones that have their My Docs mapped locally and then synced via Smartsync with our file server at hourly intervals.

There no databases or exchange that need to be backed up. its strictly their My Documents, spreadsheets, docs, some cad files.

Our new director is super anal about things and is deadset on some sort of software to do these backups, and not just the current livevault that we use for all our servers.

PS, thanks for your input.

4. thekraft

thekraft New Member

1. You want the clients to map the folders from the server to their desktops, not the other way around.

2. Why aren't the laptops on the same system? Why use Smartsync?

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Okay, I get the laptops being an issue, but even those you can turn on offline files and call it a day. They'll have a local copy of their documents on their laptop, secured I might add because they're not stored in a traditional folder where anyone with an account on the laptop has access to it, and you'll have piece of mind that you have the most current data.

Now as for a solution, that depends on whether you want to back up into the cloud (again, need to know the size of what you're backing up), or to tape, disk, or a combination. I personally use Backup Exec because it's been around forever and has been the de facto backup solution for a long time. You pick a backup plan you can live with (ie How far do you want to go back, what kind of interval points are good, etc...).

Also, if you're not using Shadow Copies now, get on it - that will get you instant recovery.

6. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

on average, most people dont have more then a gig or 2 of data in various folders that need to be backed up.

I've suggested offline files before and it was rejected, its a wacky situation. Anyway i will look into some you guys suggestions. Thanks for helping me out on this.

7. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

Also depends on your budget. There are a lot of great software solutions out there, but they will cost you a ton of money for the licensing and hardware devices.

8. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

I would write a batch script to setup a backup schedule using windows backup utility and have the script run on their login.

9. Podge

Podge Power Under Teh Bonnet

We use Symantec Netbackup.. works pretty well and you can see what machines are and arent backing up.