IT Guys... Internet issues.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by COMplex, Jan 12, 2005.

1. COMplex

COMplex New Member

Ok, I recently configured a Windows 2003 AD Domain for COMPANY A.

COMPANY A and COMPANY B are owned by brothers. COMPANY B uses comcast cable internet and COMPANY A uses SBC/SNET DSL.

They wanted to share a single connection and split the bill instead of paying for 2 since niether use anything that requires high bandwidth.

Well, I set everything up, and they each had their own sepeteate networks and each had shared internet and it was fine.

Only thing is, SNET DSL doesn't allow you to send pop3 email when you aren't connected to their service. Because of this, COMPANYA decided to just keep DSL as they had it before.

So I setup PPPOE on COMPANY A's router and nothing really needed to be reconfigured other than that.

To get to my question....

The problem they are having now is reaaaaaally slow internet, but wait...

their email is instant, and SOME SITES are also very fast. for example google.com and orbitz.com and msn.com are as they should be, fast and loaded properly. well now, SOME OTHER SITES like hp.com and microsoft.com won't load at all and just time out.

what the hell is causing this? they called the ISP and there are no known outages and i don't think it's a netowrk bottleneck because it was doing it last night too.

I dunno what the hell would cause this. any ideas? :sadwavey:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Start removing computers/nodes until the problem goes away.

3. COMplex

COMplex New Member

I don't know what you mean. It does it on all computers.

4. deezil

deezil Guest

if he wasn't being facetious, he meant to start taking computers off the network, as you might have too many on.

5. COMplex

COMplex New Member

There is only 5.

And this is after hours so only 1 is using the internet at a time. It's not like its saturated.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

I meant remove one computer at a time from the network until the problem goes away. I mean, it could be lots of things but if you're saying that if you disconnect all the computers but one, and it doesn't matter which one remains, and you still have a problem, then you can start looking past the LAN as being the problem. Until then, you haven't narrowed down what your problem is.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

As for your other proplem with Cable/DSL, it may have just needed outgoing mail authentication turned on for it to work.

8. txz

txz Guest

Also check your DNS. Most slowness can be attributed to DNS issues.