IT Crew, what does the IT department at a bank do all day?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBrotato, Jan 29, 2007.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I'm going to be interning for the IT manager at a local bank... I was wondering what the hell we will be doing all day?

Any IT people on? He couldn't interview me Friday because "the network was down" and he ran away, so that sounds interesting. But besides that, what do IT people do all day?

Thanks for any info.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

IT people who manage end-user PCs and servers at small/medium sized offices like that don't usually do anything all day. It is the most slack job ever.

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

wait for shit to break

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If the bank has a website or if it's networked to other bank branches, the IT department is also in charge of keeping all that shit running. Trust me, even "self-healing" systems fail on a regular basis; it's up the the IT guys to make sure those failures are at least not critical (take down the whole system), and not catastrophic (lose data).

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Which is not to say they have no skills. But their jobs are incredibly slack, if they're any good at them.

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

My kids mom's last job was IT at National City Bank home office, and she was kept busy most of the shift by people who have the brains of a rock.

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

LOL thanks guys, I'm pretty excited about it now :). Yeah the bank is the main branch and it is networked to like a few others (less than 10 branches). I know on Friday when he said the network was down a lady I know who works at a different branch said it was for a while, they were having issues adding two new branches I guess. So maybe I'm joining him during a time where we will actually be busy all the time, or maybe they just finished the two new offices, I don't know.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

"Hey Bob, the Windows Calculator stops working every time I restart my computer."

"Is NumLock turned on?"

"What's NumLock?"

"The first of the three little lights."

"No, it's off."

"Turn it on."

"Oh, okay. Wait, how?"

(etc...)

9. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Depends on how it is setup.

Some of my clients are banks and we pretty much just ensure their operations are running fine (Exchange, AD, etc.,) They will most likely have a large AS/400 that is connected to the Fed. Otherwise, if the IS was setup correctly, you'll just be waiting on Federal audits and ensuring that you pass em.

Preparing for audits and actually learning each detail of what the audits look for is a great way to start building experience in the security field.

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

She had gotten a promotion out of that dept, but a couple of years later
    the old dept wasn't running so well and they wanted to put her back.

She made them lay her off with a severence package, even though they offered her the same pay rate as her promoted position.

I guess she got tired of wanting to smack people in the head on a daily basis. :mamoru: