IT CREW: Terminal Server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Roniii, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Roniii

Roniii ಠ_ಠ

So I have a 2003 standard server running terminal server.

After actvatation it ran well for 100 days as a trial period. Then i had to buy some CALs so that it could continue runing.

I bought 6 packs of 5 retail device cals and installed them in the Terminal server licensing module. After installing those 30 CAL's people were able to connect again. Now in this module they were listed as Temporary Licenses for Windows Server 2003 - Terminal server per device cal token with the type temporary. It issues them as people log in and out and only allows 30 people in at any one time.

I needed some more CAL's recently and i purchased 5 more from the same place. Now when I installed these retail device CAL's they showed up as Windows Server 2003 - Terminal Server Device CAL tokens but the type says Retail purchase total 5 issued 5. Now 35 people can log in at anyone time.

Now when people are logging in the temporary licenses say they are about to expire. I did a little research online and it said that once these expire it will issue it one from the license pool if there are licenses available.

I have tried to reinstall the original retail license packs to see if they would show up in as available licenses in the retail type. When i do this it says Error unable to vaildate the following codes because they are already activated.

I am afraid that once these temporary licenses expire people wont be able to connect and it will not issues them a new license.

If anyone has had a simliar experience or has any information on this subject please let me know. Thanks. :x:

2. mahal.

mahal. mahal kita? OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

How about contacting your company's Microsoft TAM/Premier? This is a licensing issue. :hsugh:
    If possible, bring up a temporary virtual terminal server until you've got this straightened out. At least the second TS server will offer enough valid connections within the 120 day trial window. :dunno:

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

So the first 30 disappeared, is that what you are saying? If so you need to call Microsoft and have all of the licenses reset. You can only activate a TS license pack once, after that it has to be reset by MS and a new number will be issued. To get the phone number to call follow the procedure found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291795/en-us

4. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

I created a copy of this thread in the computers and programming forum.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Device CALs FTL. TS User CALs aren't managed properly in W2K3 because... MS didn't finish the code in time :rofl:

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You still have to have enough cals to cover your users to be legal, it doesn't matter if it actually enforces it or not. It would suck ass to end up on the receiving end of a BSA audit without them. I agree though, user cals usually make more sense unless you have people doing shift work and sharing devices.

As for them not "finishing the code in time", it's a little more complicated than that. The problem was they were planning on using per device and per PROCESSOR (why, I have no clue) licenses for 2003. Microsoft's marketing department pushed the change to per user licenses at the last minute*, when it was too late to add support for it.

No more free ride in 2008 though.

*in this case, the "last minute" was early in the Beta cycle.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Thanks for the history lesson :rolleyes: I never said don't be compliant, I just said that it's far easier to manage them since the only thing it requires is a license server to be available.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually, they are not managed any different than device cals. The only difference is that they are not tracked or enforced, so you can go out of compliance without realizing it. Installing them is no different.

Just having the license server up with no user cals installed is NOT compliant with the license.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Arg... the point that seems to have been lost on you is that because of this "flaw", the licenses wouldn't have mattered if they expired. At worst during an audit, it becomes a clerical issue that you're not going to get penalized for. Where as licenses expiring before they should, is a fucking nightmare for an admin.

Clear?

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

His CALs didn't expire, he installed then incorrectly and blew out his previous licenses. It's not a "fucking nightmare" either, you make one fucking 10 minute phone call and it's done. He has per-device cals, so telling him that per user cals are better really doesn't help him at all.

Clear?

11. 5Gen_Prelude

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

So in other words you don't understand what you're talking about. Thanks for playing.

13. 5Gen_Prelude

No - in other words I'm tired of having this stupid debate with you when both of us know exactly what we're talking about. I made my point and you decided to make it a nerd-off. This is me no longer caring and since the original poster and everyone else has long since gotten bored of this exchange, I would suggest you leave it alone. Or have the last word if you must. I really, really don't care.

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

So you make a useless post in a thread asking for assistance then get sandytwat when it's pointed out that your wrong? Whatever.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

CALs are evil.