IT Crew!! Need help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thisgsx, Mar 20, 2006.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

I posted this in the main forum but didnt get as much help as I wanted. Anyways, I am going to be getting an interview for a Systems Admin position. The thing is, it's been 6-7yrs since I've dealt with networks, and I completely forgot about everything that has to do with networking. I need you guys to educate me on the basics, so I can be a little more prepared for the technical questions in the job interview.

This position is within the same company I am working for now. Since I've been with this company for 4yrs, I know how the company operates, and I know the system they're using. The current Systems Admin told me I have a huge advantage over other applicants because of that. But I am nervous about it because I dont know jack about networks. :hs:

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Well, you didn't get any replies because the question is so vast. If you narrow down what exactly you want to learn the basics of you'll get more feedback.

A system admin is an all around computer guy that must be knowledgable in troubleshooting any networking, hardware, or software issue. He must have the knowledge to operate and administrate various networking administration software and must be fluent in the operating systems the company will be using. And the systems administrator must be able to build servers, networks, services and operating systems from the ground up. Most sys. admins are not fluent in every software imaginable so you'll spend most of your time searching Google, or most likely nosing around in the man pages.

I highly suggest you read the job description and find out exactly what they require and start from there.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

1) Forget everything you know
    2) Toss around big buzzwords at your interview.
    3) ????????
    4) Profit!

4. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Well, I just talked to the Sys Admin and he basically told me that they're looking for somebody fresh. Somebody that is willing to learn. Somebody that hasnt been whored around, as he'd said. I told him that I forgot/dont know jack about networking, and that the last time I dealt with networks was while in school and when I was younger when I was all into it. He said I should be fine, as long as Im honest in the interview, and as long as I have a positive attitude and willing to learn.

As for the hardware and software part, thats no problem. The only thing I'm having a difficult time with is the networking aspect of the job. Plus, he also told me that I dont really have to stress/worry about it because there's a help desk at corporate that's always there to help, and they have certain rights that I dont have if something goes wrong.

But damn, I am nervous like hell. I really want the job because it'll be something I can look forward to, maybe as a career. Because I've been wanting to get into it since I was a kid, but changed paths because of never getting the chance. So now here's my chance, and I think I am going to fuck it up. :hs:

5. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

You'll be fine. Just as you Sys Admin told you, be honest and be open to learning. I'm actually in sorta the same position as you. I'm in line for the IS Co-ordinator here where i work. Its been a while since i've messed with any server or business networks since my last job about 3 years ago. Seems my company is looking for someone that they can train and is willing to learn. I was nervous too, but just relaxed myself. I fit their description purty good. Good Luck with the job :wavey:

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Pick up an intro ccna book. that will teach you the basics of networking that you should know. should take you about 1 weekend