IT CREW - DBA position

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Valence, May 22, 2009.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Ok, I've decided that my MIS degree isn't cutting it. I need to pick a specialization in order to get a job that actually pays something worthwhile and has a future. I'm finding that MCSE's and CCNA certs along with the sys admin and network admin people are a dime a dozen. I'm considering getting certified to be a DBA.

1st off - Which tract is in demand more? Oracle DBA or the Microsoft DBA -

2nd off - what's the best place to get training on this? Ideally - some online -

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

What type of DBA do you want to be? There is more then just being the guy who does design and then sits back. You could just work in the world of ETLs, reporting, data & security, analysis...

Best place to get training, work your way in. Classroom training will teach you the basics; but to become proficient, you need have the domain knowledge of your area you want to work in.

I work in web analytics and marketing, started off as a developer and then became a DBA for our Data Warehouse. 50% of my time is designing ETLs (SSIS 2008), the other half is busy working in QlikView.

3. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

not wanting to do the design and sit back, more of a design and day to day admin

4. CyberBullets

Day to day admin... still very general. Few things that I'd consider "day to day admin" would be: Data validation (confidentiality, integrity & analysis) of the nightly load. Performance benchmarking of the servers. Load testing. User security audits. Disaster recovery and testing.

Most of that stuff is boring as hell, and would rather read log files (which it is). Only "fun part" would be performance benchmarking or query analysis.

It's no fun just seeing the data, and not being able to play with it. The fun part of being a DBA is generating the results for the users who want to get their job done more efficiently.

If you just want to maintain servers, look at becoming a sys admin. A DBA does more then just the "day to day".

5. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Are you actually interested in database work? If you're just deciding to be a DBA on a whim you may want to think it all through. I think it takes a special kind of person to do that shit.

6. ge0

ge0 New Member

^^ True, DBA guys are usually the "werid" guys. You might want to look into data migration as well.

7. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Says the man with the cool avatar.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

what experience do you have? i've said it before and i'll say it again, experience and knowledge is the key in IT and college degrees and certs really don't show much of either anymore. i'm not saying that either is bad to have, but neither is going to get you a job.

if you really want to do well in IT, the best thing is if you enjoy what you do and put the effort into being good at what you do. learn everything you can, not through books and certification courses, but by actively doing the work one way or another. if some new task becomes available at your current job, try to get involved in it. don't just sit there and expect the work to come to you. ask your boss if you can try some new software or work with another team to better understand your role.

i started in PC phone support, but knew i wanted more. i worked hard to get a job in desktop support. while i was there, they had a need for someone to take on the support for a couple of UNIX systems, so i raised my hand and got trained in HPUX. that's how i switched to be a UNIX admin. in my next job, all of the guys were HPUX admins except for 1 who was a Solaris admin. They wanted a backup Solaris admin so I offered and started learning Solaris. The next job, they put in a SAN and paid a lot of money for the vendor to support the whole thing, but i was interested in learning it. so, i made sure to shadow the guys whenever they were working on the system and had them show me everything so i could take it on myself. after that i took ownership of all of the storage. at this point i've got a lot of extremely valuable experience simply because i was interested in learning more and made sure my bosses knew it.

9. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

hmm....Is there a high demand for data migration?

I've always been fascinated w/ databases/data mining/migration/etc .... so I guess I'm the "weird" guy :fawk:.

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

did he ever say he didn't finish his degree? i'm just reading this as someone who has their MIS degree and expected jobs to be handed to him on a silver platter, not as someone who ditched his degree in favor of worthless certs.

11. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

How does ssis 08 compare to 05? I've only had to create a few in 05 and found it to be limiting in terms of calling web services, had to create a script task to get what I wanted done :hsd:

12. CyberBullets

Still need to create script tasks for web services. I was really disappointed. I find myself actually creating script tasks because automating the data pulling is a disaster (over 40 different locations for me to build 1 data mart).

13. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I always feel like creating a script task is like punching in a cheat code :) How is SQL08 compared to 05?

14. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I know you mean well - but I'm not a noob and this is old knowledge to me. My issue is that I can't do any of that because these support positions are regionalized to another location 90 miles away or outsourced to another location in a completely different country. Our IT department is global so Lotus support might be in Asia and Voice engineering might be based out of Brazil and Database administration might be based out of another country. Kind of hard to do what you mentioned there chief.

And I also know that certs don't neccesarily mean you know what you're doing - but I actually take the time to learn what I can. My main question was if the MS route would be more useful than the Oracle route.

15. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Why the hell are you such a troll? Where did I say that I didn't have my degree? Where did I say that getting certified as a DBA was quick cash? I'm looking at a long term career path - getting a form of specialization and sticking with it. I've been out in the field for going on 5 years past getting my degree and have never been part of a helpdesk - seriously - do yourself a favor and just stfu.

16. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

:rofl: god the arrogance of you pricks is astounding. I've never expected anything to be handed to me. My motivation for inquiring about a dba cert was to get something to give me some background knowledge, so that I could get an entry level dba gig - and work down that career path. I've been doing well but I've hit a wall where I'm to where I can't go any higher (the jobs are regionalized elsewhere) and in general - If I don't get a specialization in something then I never will go any higher. Look - this cert is nothing more than a foot in the door towards an entry level DBA job that most likely WON'T get my any more money than I'm making now. A few years after - yeah. I think of this as more of a long term investment.

17. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

the arrogance? what you posted is exactly what tons of people post in this forum all of the time. how was anyone to know that you're already an experienced admin? and then, you basically abandon your own thread, not providing any more details. so, all anyone can do is assume that you're like everyone else who asks the same stupid questions. "i've got a degree and some certs. i want more certs so i can make $$$. which certs are good?" to me that reads of someone with no experience and little knowledge of the industry.

so, before you start insulting people, put some time into putting together an intelligent question and then follow up on it with clarification if people are misunderstanding you.

18. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

yeah yeah yeah. In other news - I was hoping that Trainsignal site would have some form of database training - I saw sql server but afaik that's not really going to go be helpful to me for the path I'm looking at.