Issues with XP SP2 and Windows Explorer/IE

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by moss, Sep 23, 2004.

1. moss

moss Guest

I've got XP Pro SP1, and recently installed SP2. Everything was running smoothly until I started to try and use right-click menu to explore folders and/or change folder names. Every time I do that now, explorer has an error and shuts down and I have to send an error report to microsoft.

I'm about to uninstall SP2 and go back to SP1, unless there's something I'm missing.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I had the same exact problem yesterday.

Just to make sure, next time explorer crashes, hit the link on the bottom of the window to see what file had the problem. In my case it was ntdll.dll.

Go to a command prompt and type sfc /scannow to check for corrupted files. Have your XP CD handy.

HTH.

3. moss

moss Guest

how's this for the problem file... shell32.dll :mad:

4. moss

moss Guest

Ok, I ran the sfc/scannow, and it said i had no corrupted files.... application was explorer.exe, file was shell32.dll :mad: Will reverting back to SP1 fix this?

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

6. moss

moss Guest

Ehhh.... I have to sign up... I can Uninstall SP2? but if that doesnt fix the problem, I can re-install SP1a over itself and not lose any data on my computer, correct?

What kills me is that I have SP2 on my laptop working without a problem!

7. moss

moss Guest

Update... SP2 is ghey and I chose System Restore back to before SP2 was installed bleh...

8. moss

moss Guest

Final update....

I reverted back to SP1a and installed all the programs I had on the computer originally. Problems arose... Webroots Spy Sweeper was the issue. I thought it was WinRAR because it was integrated into the System, but I was wrong.

I found out, because Installed SS on my laptop with SP2 and the problems began.

keith

9. mighty1

mighty1 New Member

damn i was about to install SP2

10. moss

moss Guest

My laptop is running great now with SP2. The issue was the stupif Spy Sweeper, it was version 3.0, incompatible with SP2 I guess. So I just upgraded to Spy Sweeper 3.2... all good :)