issues with wireless

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MillionFlame, Feb 21, 2003.

1. MillionFlame

MillionFlame New Member

Hey all,

Here's the issues I'm having. Client I'm working for has two desktop pc's and one laptop at his home utilizing a cox.net cable connection. Desktop 1 is running XP Pro, Desktop 2 is running Windows ME, while Notebook is running Win98 First Edition (ugh). They have purchased a linksys wireless router (BEFW11S4). Desktop 1 is directly wired into the router while D2 and N1 are both connected via external wireless usb cards from linksys.

Here's the underlying problem (and I'm not so sure it's related to the wireless setup but maybe you can still help). My client uses Netscape 7.0 Messenger to send and receive email (go figure, I don't know why). He gets good signal and connection strength anywhere in his home and has no problem receiving email on either of the desktop machines. Whenever he tries to check email on his notebook, it can never make a connection...it always times out. Note, he is not using the POP3 server from Cox to check his email. He uses his work server at Harbor UCLA Medical to check mail. He travels quite often on the road and whenever he is at a hotel where there is Fast Ethernet, he wires to their network and has no problem. But with the wireless at home, he can never connect to the work mail server. The same adapters and protocols exists on all three systems and the network settings are identical. There is no firewall setup yet (will be setup after this issue is fixed) and no restrictions in the router setup...so there is no restriction on inbound or outbound data packets. From what I've wrote here, can anyone pass along information to help me troubleshoot further. Note to the wise, from the two desktop machines, I can ping the work mail servers but from the troublesome notebook, it simply times out. I don't know if this issue is related to the wireless setup, to the inefficiency of Windows 98 FE, or some other unknown factor, but any light shed on this issue would be appreciated. Thanks! and sorry for the novel.

millionflame

2. samm

samm Next in Line

Does he have any other network problems with the laptop? Can he ping the pop server at all? Does his email work find if the laptop is connected via ethernet instead of wireless?

3. MillionFlame

MillionFlame New Member

Hi samm,

Thanks for the response. The laptop is able to browse the internet with no problems and can ping (yahoo.com) fine...although I found it a bit weird that when the desktops machines ping the mail server, it resolves with no problem, but when the notebook pings the mail server, it always times out. Someone suggested that it might be an MTU issue with the router setting being higher than the ISP's so I'm gonna adjust that this afternoon to see if anything changes. If not, I'll jam a pc card in and try a physical ethernet connection via wireless. I'll update again then

millionflame