Issues trying to edit clips from a Sony XDCAM EX1

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ProgWRX, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

I dont know if there are people that could give any input on this subject but It wouldnt hurt to try.

Im currently trying to edit some clips shot with a sony xdcam ex1 and they are still in their "mp4" native format. I tried importing them to imovie HD but they say it cant import it because "quicktime could not parse it -2010"

i realize it may be :ugh: to try to edit this with imovie but i had uninstalled final cut and dont have any of my software dvds with me.

another way i guess would be to find a converter and downconvert the clips (since i dont need HD quality output for now)

any ideas?

2. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

http://flip4mac.com/pro_xdcam.htm

I've been out of the video industry for ~ a year and didn't really use XDCAM.

But the MP4 is a proxy stream and low res, not really want you want to be using for your editing. You need to pull the other files from cam usually MPEG IMX or DV.

3. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

well these are full HD clips coming directly from the cam. this cam uses memory cards and makes its own clips each time you pause/stop so it doesnt involve capturing or anything like a mini DV would.

they are .mp4 as a default and when played back they are in full HD res.

4. SuperCzar

Are there other files on the card?

What mbit rate are the MP4s?

I haven't used an EX yet, I've only used the disc based HD's.

5. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

The card divides each clip into subfolders, each containing the mp4, a .ppn file, a .bim file, an .xml file and .bim

as far as bitrate i cannot access that info because i dont have any editing software but the Clip browser program that came with the camera does give me this under properties for each clip :

Video Format : [email protected] 16:9 23.98p

which basically i understand it to mean that its shooting at full res (which is 1920x1080) in wide screen and 24p :dunno:

6. SuperCzar

You've gotten a bit past what I'm able to help you with. From the info you've listed, you're using MPEG IMX 35mbit in a MP4 wrapper, and I haven't seen that before.

How large is the file you're working with?

Check out the creative cow forums, there's some good people on there who can probably help you out.

If you're willing to shell out the cash, I'm willing to bet Telestream or Main Concept has the plugins you need. If you're not, all I can recommend is trying something like MPEG Streamclip or FFMPEG to try and convert to some other format.

7. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

well im probably just going to find final cut or something and install it...

thanks!