Issue with wireless in Vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Aug 7, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

So, every so often my wireless connection seems to get messed up on my laptop. It is fine for a while recognized as a private network and allows all of my sharing to persist. Then, periodically it'll switch from the name of the connection to say "identifying." When that happens, network discovery and all the sharing options are disabled until it recognizes the network again.

I found this on the internet and haven't tested it yet since I'm hesitant to start whacking away at the registry just yet:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Does anyone else have any ideas?

By the way, I noticed the problem while streaming video from my laptop to my XBox360. Every so often the connection will drop. I opened the Network and Sharing Center in the control panel and I saw the icon for the network connection change right before the connection dropped.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

are you using an old or cheap router, it may be dying on you

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

the router is a bit old. it is a linksys wrt54gl v1.1 router running DD-WRT v23 SP2 (pretty old firmware). i think i'm going to try flashing it with the v24 SP1 firmware to see if that helps.

4. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

I have Vista Home Basic on my laptop. The only issue I had for a while, was it would connect to the network, but local only. It wouldnt connect to the internet. I ended up resetting the router after a day or so of fucking with it, and it worked again.

My router will also "forget" all the port forwarding options every week or so, which requires a reset to fix. Old routers definitely have a big effect. Im running a version 2 Linksys WRT54G. At least 3 years old.

5. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel Active Member

Some routers just don't play nice with the IPv6 protocol, so go into your network settings and turn everything related to IPv6 off.