Issue with NIC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MacandCheese, Aug 19, 2005.

1. MacandCheese

MacandCheese Mmm Mmmm Goood ;)

Hi everyone,

I have a laptop (Micronpc T1000) that every other day, when i start it up on the network, it doesn't pick up any network signals. I can go into device manager and the NIC looks great. What i do to get the network back is reload my NIC driver. As soon as i reboot the pc, the network is back for the day. This has been happening often and not sure what could be the issue. Any thoughts?

Specs:

Windows XP pro
    512ram
    10/100 nic on the laptop

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

check under the properties of your nic driver. Some cards in XP support a "sleep" feature. Try disabling that. I've had cards that do that before, with the same experience. It happened to me when i hibernated my laptop, then when it comes back up, the nic is still in sleep mode even though the interface is active and such. Just a thought.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

just looked on my 2k box and it's under "power management". Uncheck the box that says: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

hope that helps

4. MacandCheese

MacandCheese Mmm Mmmm Goood ;)

Thanks sled for that advice! I did that and it still was intermitant. I believe it is the docking station causing problems. I swapped it out and so far, so good :)