ISP support techs are dishonest.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PC Principle, Aug 4, 2006.

1. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

I have been having horrible ping in CS:S for the last 2 weeks. I finally decide to call Embarq about it and talk to a support tech. I already know why it is so bad all of a sudden (they put me on interleave) but I play dumb to see what his answer would be. I tell him that I have been getting 150+ ping when I used to get ~50ms, and he immediately tells me that they can do nothing about that and to check my "speed" with a program he gave me the link to (A bandwidth test :hsugh: ). I do it and my dl rate is good so he says that there is nothing wrong with the "speed" of my connection. I then tell him that indeed there is a problem with my speed and that speed and download rate are two different things. After a few minutes of argueing he concedes that I was right but still says that there is nothing he can do about it and that he didn't know why my latency would be so high all of a sudden. I then ask him if I am still on fastpath or if I was switched to interleave and after a brief hesitation he confessed that I was put on interleave recently and that it "may prevent errors that could happen while using fastpath". I kindly tell him that I would take that risk and my connection dropped about 30 minutes later. Now I have a constant ping of 30-50ms on Counterstrike Source. :coold:

Moral of the story: Do your homework before you try to get a tech to help because for some reason they would rather lie to you about your situation and their capabilities instead of trying to help.

2. Schproda

Schproda New Member

From what I have heard while on the phone with the support momo boys, they have a little check list of things that they read before sending you up to the next group who at least know how to tell what your IP is. I've given them more hell than they've ever had. The programs they use probably just read from cache and hit their servers so the speed will be higher than anywhere else.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

They arn't dishonest, they just try to do as little work as possible. I know if I ran a help desk and had to deal with whiny pukes who cared about their CS:S lag I'd make up as much bullshit I could and feed it to them until they exploded.

And btw, when they say they are moving you to "the 2nd tier of help"... It's usually just their buddy :).

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That is dishonest. They're getting paid on the assumption that they're doing their job, and they're not doing it. Granted, they aren't lying to the thread starter when they do this, but still.

5. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

In some instances, management restricts what they are allowed to say or do. Take that into consideration. I had interviewed with cox at one time and I was told in the interview that I could not go beyond the level 1 support book with help even though I have years of admin experience and could diagnose and fix most problems in a single call. I needed a job at the time and said I could accept that. They felt I couldn't and ended the interview promptly because of that.

6. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

That's sad.