Isolating Abs necessary?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by lawrencel715, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

So at the end of every lift session, i do one isolated ab work, like decline bench sit ups or serratus crunches.

then i read this:

The Best Ab Exercises Q: Is there a best overall abdominal exercise? Is there ever a need for an athlete to specialize in ab training?
    A: The best ab exercise? Squatting. Next is deadlifting.
    Abdominal specialization for athletes? It could happen, but the abs actually have very little potential for strength increases when compared to other muscles like calves. Along with the grip, the abdominals are the least likely to improve with training. Some of these guys can claim all these poundages used in ab training, but it's actually the psoas doing the work.

If you truly isolate the abs, after six to eight weeks an athlete will plateau the rest of his life. Research has shown that the most coordinated athletes master the most difficult abdominal exercises in six to eight weeks. The only things that increase abdominal improvement are squatting and deadlifting.
    Have those guys into core training ever trained anyone strong? Bring me someone then. I find that it's just a con job and a disgrace to the strength coaching community.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1718015

should i even bother with ab stuff anymore? i always do a squat variation on push days, and deadlift once every week.

thoughts on abs?

2. Memor

Memor Active Member

standing rope abs and similar exercises helped my deadlift a lot

3. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

4. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Leave it to tnation to completely over complicate simple shit.

Ab work = some leg raises, weighted crunches, maybe a twisting motion if your obliques are not already huge. Done. Nobody needs to do keiser whatthefuck pulls to build a good core.

5. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i didn't do any abwork but my core fell behind my squats/deadlift... now I do weighted crunches and i'm catching up slowly... so from my experience i'd say it's necessary

also super strong PL dude told me they all do weighted crunches with feet hooked under the power rack

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

the article is for athletes, not gay bbers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.