A&P ISO set to 3200 on my 300D

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hurleyint1386, Feb 4, 2008.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

So I just got my 300D a few days ago, and the ISO for all of my pictures are set to 3200. After doing some research I've learned that the 300D doesn't actually use the 3200 ISO unless the firmware is hacked, so I assume the person I got it from hacked it, right? Also, would that be the reason why all of my pictures are coming out so grainy looking? How do I change the ISO? and how do I know what ISO to shoot in? Thanks, I'm trying to learn! :hsd:

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

yes that is why your photos look like ass. you should have the ISO as low as possible for the situation. have a read of the 101 at the top of the forum.

3. Spurious

Spurious New Member

ISO 3200 is going to be ridiculously grainy on that camera, so yes, that's why. I'm not familiar with that camera in particular, but changing the ISO usually has a dedicated button on the camera... It should say "ISO", if not it should be in the menu system.

ISO is a tool and you use an iso based off of the light on the subject, your desired aperture and your shutter speed. Outdoors or in a studio you can shoot at ISO 100 or 200, indoors with good light you can get away with 400 if you have a fast lens or a flash, 800 if not. In low-end DSLRs anything 1600 or over is used when there is nothing you can do to increase the light and have to have the shot, in highend cameras you can get away with going all the way up to 3200.

4. CombatWombat

CombatWombat oh shit, zombies bro

Which mode are you shooting?

5. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

i have a 300d that is hacked to allow it to go up to 3200 but i never touch anything above 800 on that camera and only 800 if i really need to. the up arrow button on the back is the iso button. dont shoot in full auto (the green square) and set the iso to as low as you can to still get clear shots

6. hurleyint1386

So I changed the ISO to 400 and took a picture, and it went black for about 8 seconds, then opened back up, so I assume that the shutter speed is very slow. However the picture seems to have come out great! How do I go about speeding it up while retaining the quality? I'm sorry, I'm new. I'm still learning.

7. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

what conditions were u shooting at? was it really dark? open up the aperture (smaller f number) and turn on some lights?

8. hurleyint1386

I was shooting in my house with the flash. How do I change the aperture? Do I do it with the main dial at the top?

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

did you read the 101 + your manual yet?