Ischemic/Tourniquet training..

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by michael, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Anyone know anything about this?

I was thumbing through MD tonight @ B&N and I came across an article about it put out by some Medical Journal and then I did a search on google and came up with this..

Basically, cut off blood flow to the muscle you are working during low-resistance training and you can build a great amount of strength + size...there also seems to be a greater 'pump' after the exercise is complete (rather than during) and this blood flow is what induces the hypertrophy and strength gain...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

and after your exercise you can kill two birds with one stone and shoot up H since the tourniquet is already on :dunno:

Kind of makes sense by my retarded noob logic: anaerobic exercise yields even more substantial results with less and less oxygen , as is the case when blood supply is cut off. Is that just a stupid thought?

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

or might it be because deoxygenated blood leaves the muscles and that allows them to work harder by being drained?

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

interesting read, however sounds too dangerous for the average person. i can't imagine people self applying tourniquets and then going out and doing squats. potential to be very very dangerous. pulmonary embolism like effects.

5. watagatapitusberry

watagatapitusberry OT Supporter

someone posted a thread about this earlier...i think timber has experimented with it

6. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Guest

:eek5: i'll try this the next time i do neck work.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

try to climax masturbatoredly at the same time and it will be 1000x better, AND your neck will get beefed.

again, two birds with one stone.

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

that would have been me

9. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I'm not sure how old the journal is but I've always been aware that you need hypoxia to encourage muscle growth (as well as tissue damage of course.)

You could always try it, but if I were you I'd probably only use it for my arms and for risk-free exercises like curls. I wouldn't like to strap up my legs and then squat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.