IS300 questions for the import crew

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mjolnir, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

How much do the Early IS 300s and the Supra share in common?

Will any Supra suspension parts fit?

Does the straight six have the same potential as third/4th gen Supras?

Are the automatics decent, or should I pass this one up and look for a manual trans?

How is it to mod in general, as in if I can pick up a brutally cheap one is it worth it?

2. JDM5LugHatch

JDM5LugHatch New Member

If you like manuals don't settle for anything less. I bought my TL in an auto and after 2 years I had to switch back to a manual. You will also see more performance from the manual. As far as the motor it should be the same as the NA supra inline 6. It shouldn't be that bad to mod. Prices should be on par with about everything else out there in the sense of basic bolt-ons.

3. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Thanks.

I've had a manual as a DD for the past 8 years, but I found a super cheap IS300 auto so I thought I'd ask about the tranny.

It's nice to know the modding potential is there. I drove a manual trans IS300 4 years ago or so and was underwhelmed with the power and thought the rest of the car was decent, if not spectacular.

I've been looking at used ones lately and if I can fix what I felt the car's biggest problem was relatively cheaply/easily it might be worth buying one.

4. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

IS300s are boring...get a G35....more power, better looking, better handling sports sedan.

5. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Quick question-

If I'm shopping cheap 10 year old used cars, and commenting on the cost of mods, do you think I'm interested in buying a G35?

6. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

If your looking for a cheap 10 year old used car and worried about modifications then I don't know why you are looking at IS300s either. Considering the oldest IS300s are only 6 years old and are only slightly cheaper then a early G35s. Not to mention the G35 already makes more power and responds to boost even better then the IS300...

7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I'm looking at IS 300's because I found a cheap one for sale in the neighborhood in my price range and that got me thinking about turbo supra's and shit.

I've always assumed the G35 was more expensive, and I didn't like the one I drove, so I never bothered researching to see if my assumptions were true.

Maybe I'll take a pass on this IS and just keep looking.

8. red97gst

red97gst New Member

IS300s have the best resale value of any 4-door built in the last 10 years. So far...

Which makes them a pain in the ass when you see that used ones are going for up to 20k and are like 4 years old. The issue is, you'll need to strap a blower or turbo kit on there to make decent power. Bolt ons arent gonna be enough if you want over 250hp...

And after you do that, you can kiss resale value goodbye. Therein lies the problem...

Regardless, I think a turbo IS300 would make me nut all over it's questionable gauge faces

9. JDM5LugHatch

JDM5LugHatch New Member

Werd and if he looks at going FI... Well I hope he has some bank to play with because with tuning and everything all said and done he is looking at spending upto $6k give or take about $1k. That's assuming he is just doing a bolt-on kit too and not actually tearing down into the motor.

10. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

An auto that I have to drop $6k into to build power?

Definitely a pass.

Thanks for the info guys.