SRS is xanax addictive

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by michaele36, Apr 26, 2006.

1. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

i want to get it because it helps me when i freak out or get depressed. my parents said no because they think its addictive. anyone have input?

2. Brian

Brian New Member

xanax is very addictive if you take alot frequently like a bar everyday

there are other medications that arent addictive it would be better just to ask for some sort of medication that is an anti depressent and anti axiety

3. ///

/// Born and raised in Ohio

I read somewhere that people who were addicted to it who stopped cold turkey, died. very powerful addiction

4. toph

toph New Member

you sure dude? thats an insane withdrawl. I know thats possible with certain drugs, but never would have thought that about xanax.

5. R KriLLz

R KriLLz Uncomfortable in my own skin.

YES!

i know one person that has died from cold turkey and 3 people that are hopelessly addicted.

I hate it because it seems to screw up all my good buddies.

6. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Its wonderful, but I only do it in moderation and only when I am having real anxiety problems.

It is extremely addictive, and people arent kidding that just up and quitting cold turkey can kill you. Ive seen alot of people become more addicted to xanax than cocaine.

Stay away from it unless its really a necessity, and if a doc perscribes it to you, make sure you get yourself well informed before you start taking it.

7. gnat

gnat New Member

I hate xanax, but it's true... benzo withdrawels can be life threatening.

8. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

governmentt scheduling says

Xanax is a Schedule 4 controlled substance in the united states. Schedule 4 means that the drug may me MILDLY physically or psycologically addictive.

but just remeber, the goventment doesnt know drugs all that well, they say pot is a schedule 1

9. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I'm pretty sure Xanex is a benzo. I've from some people who have done it, that Kicking something like this I've heard can be worse than kicking heroine.

10. Poopshoot

Poopshoot New Member

Yes, Xanax is very addictive and benzo addiction seems to just creep up on you and stopping cold turkey could indeed kill you. Physical and mental pain is going to happen if you stop taking xanny, Benzo addiction is possibly the worst. Actual pain and actual deaths occur from these stupid little fucking pills. I am not addicted as I stay away from Benzo's but my mom has been on Klonopin for as long as I have been alive. she told me once when i was a Little kid that if she stopped taking it, she would die.

11. IStandalone

IStandalone EssentialDucati

It almost killed me the last time I tried to kicked it, I was just at the stage of getting seizures (that's the stage before you die BTW). It's hopelessly addictive and unless you're a complete basket case (agoraphobia comes to mind) you don't need it. Look into ativan and wellbutrin (the combo works quite well) before you try the xanax.

12. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

If you are taking it at the advice of your doctor you should be alright.
    If you are taking it by going into a friends stash - you might be asking for trouble.

I take... something... I forget the name, starts with the letter 'C' and I started taking it to replace my Zoloft. Anyways, the new stuff is an antidepressent to replace the Zoloft. I also take Welbutrin.

I have a prescription to Xanax as well. I take maybe a pill every 4 months or so. Every once in a while I get myself so stressed out about something that I can't calm down. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. When I take the Xanax I find that it gets me under control within about 15 minutes of taking it.

What is weird is that I have tried taking it a couple of times when I wasn't stressed. I was curious. I had heard about the addicting nature and how people would score it on the street. I was curious if it would get me high or something. When I took it like that I got nothing. No high, no buzz. I got kind of tired. That was it.

I asked my doctor about this. He told me that what happens when people get addicted is that they start to get stressed out all the time. He said that I had a high requirement for when I felt like I was stressed out, hence I only took it once every few months. Others may feel like that more often, and when it works they are tempted to take it more often. Before they know it they are taking it just to sleep and make decisions.

Bottom line: it is just like lots of other things in life. If you use it in moderation and within a doctor's care it can be a very useful drug. But it has the potential to be abused, apparently potential that differs from person to person.

***edit*** I just realized the subforum I was posting in. I apologize if I am out of bounds posting here. I just saw the xanax heading on the first page and read the thread.

13. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

yep

14. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

Buspar is supposed to do the same thing, but be non-addictive.

15. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

They must be. some of my nieghbors take them often. They crave them all the time. When alot of them get together every other question is "ya got any bars?"

16. Metal

Metal Active Member

Please avoid using this drug as a street drug - it will get you nowhere but addicted... If you get it from your Doctor or Psychiatrist; follow their Dosage Instructions exactly as they have written the script out for you.. don't take more or less of the drug than the script tells you to.. Do not try to quit Xanax cold turkey as it could end up in an ugly mess depending on the amount of the drug you had been taking.. Only try to taper from the drug under medical supervision! Most of the time a simple detox at a local hospital or drug treatment center can help get rid of the addiction to this drug. Also assuming that if you are taking Xanax you are probably taking other drugs or alcohol along with it so you should be going into a Detox for your own Good anyway... At the Detox they can wean you off of the Xanax appropriately without severe side-effects as well as the alcohol or any other drugs you happen to be taking.. These days Detox programs can only last 3-7 days depending on what you have been taking, although if you are serious about it you may consider staying longer and getting into a long-term Treatment/Substance Abuse Program... I wish you all Good Luck... if you have any questions, please message me as I have battled this addiction myself.

-Craig
    Metal
    Moderator for R2R

17. Droopynuts

Droopynuts New Member

I experienced a grand maul seizure after withdrawing from an 8mg a day 2 week binge. I can attribute every single legal problem, or bad decision I've ever made to being under the influence of Xanax. I hate that drug. I am an addict, so I attempt to stay clear from everything, but Xanax is one drug I will never do again, despite it being my drug of choice. If you are hellbent on using this drug, please use it responsibly.

18. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

OMG I HATED buspar. I would get really really strange head rushes and end up on the floor before I knew what happened. Then all my muscles would have weird tingly feelings shooting through them for house. It became very uncomfortable.

Everything works differently though. It did help with the anxiety though though :dunno: atleast when I wasnt worried about dying.

19. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

I actually liked Xanax...however I was fully aware of the addictive properties. I got addicted to Perc 5's back in the early 90's after I went through some pretty major surgery and a recovery period...I needed 2 of those a night to sleep for 4 hours at a stretch.

For a while I was major stressed out with grad school and had a job where I was required to speak in front of large groups of people (300+), and Xanax always helped me to concentrate and chill out. I actually got several jobs because I was cool calm and collected and could appropriately organize my thoughts, because of Xanax.

I'm a pretty big introvert and I just couldn't seem to calm down enough before a speaking engagement or an interview, so it helped. Nowadays I'm concentrating more on cognitive therapies rather than on chemical crutches.

But to answer the OP...YES, it can be VERY addictive for what it can help you do at first. Then the chemical properties begin to take effect and then it really begins to become a problem.

20. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

try an ssri. the effects are less adictive

21. 311-420

311-420 New Member

been taking paxil(an ssri) for over a year now. stopped just the other day and OMFG the withdrawals are TERRIBLE. I feel constantly dizzy, confused and just not healthy whatsoever. i quit because i couldnt make it to class or work. i just felt like sleeping all the time. do it without drugs bro, seriously. therapy would be MY best advice.