Is working out late at night bad?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Aequitas, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Started a new job a couple of weeks ago working 3pm-11pm. The place has a small gym that I use when I get off work. Not really that much heavy lifting, just 15-20 minutes of jumping rope then about 50-70 minutes of lifting weights/doing push ups and ab exercises. After I get home I'll usually drink some water and have some fruit for a snack before showering and finally going to bed around 2:30-3:00am.

I don't usually have too much time during the day with summer classes and doing various errands, but I'll usually try to get in some cardio in the morning.

I was wondering, not so much if it's bad, but if I'm cheating my body of the benefits of exercising or if I'm not giving my body enough time to recoup before actually going to bed.

I searched through the archives and the forum but I couldn't find anything on work out times. If there already is a thread on it I'd appreciate a link and thanks for reading. I'm open to any suggestions/advice.:wavey:

2. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

If you lift late at night make sure you get adequate food in before bed. Aka take your postworkout shake immediately after or you can sip on it throughout the workout. Then hit up a late night snack consisting of slow digesting casein protein. (aka cottage cheese, casein shakes, lowfat milk, etc.) before bedtime. The other alternative is go to bed earlier and get up earlier.

3. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Also, are there certain types of foods I should be focusing on eating for dinner? I usually eat around 8 and I've just been eating a whole wheat turkey sandwich with mustard and cheese, usually some carrots, a thing of yogurt and peanut butter crackers.

4. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

yes. high protein foods. read the nutrition edu sticky. for dinner i would have steak/chicken. some veggies and a small to moderate amount of carbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.