Is win2k owning me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eof, Jan 12, 2003.

1. eof

eof New Member

Does my memory usage seem really high? or is it just me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also why don't the processes add up to what the commit at the bottom does? It isn't even remotly close..... :dunno:

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Meh, mine's higher (percentage-wise), but I only have 128 megs of RAM.

3. eof

eof New Member

Not interested in percentage ....is everyone else that is running win2k using the roughly the same amount of ram as me or is mine obviously out of wack?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's pretty easy for W2K to eat 100 Megs of physical RAM with a clean install.

5. eof

eof New Member

But what is using 190mb of memory on my system....it just doesn't make sense to me.....:mad:

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Reset your computer and do it again - close all your web sharing crap too.

7. Ractoon

Ractoon Shibumi in progress...

It looks like Mozilla and all your web messaging stuff is eating up like 40 or 50 MB on it's own. Turn those off and see what it looks like.

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Looks to me that's pretty much your problem. W2k seems to like 100-125mb on its own, then you tack on almost 30mb for you running Mozilla alone, plus all the other stuff and there's your 190mb.

9. eof

eof New Member

Yeah..maybe it isn't as bad as I thought.....I was thinking that W2k idled around 60-70mb so I was like wayyy too high to explain.

10. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Other then the fact that you have tons of crap loaded, I don't see any problems..

..but Win2k doesn't use up 100+ on it's own.. I have Win2K running smoothly on a 333 MHz laptop with 32 MB of RAM. Runs just fine. I can load up a program or two plus internet explorer.. and although it doesn't run as fast as I'd like it to..it still runs.

My point: Win2K should only use up 20-25 MB give-or-take on it's own. Explorer should only use between 7 and 12 mb.

11. eof

eof New Member

I don't have that much stuff going really...I think a caching "tweak" might be owning me. Mozilla, ICQ, MSN, MIRC, FTP Server, few little dinky apps for vid card tweaks, etc.....still shouldn't require anything near 190mb.... :dunno:

12. 5Gen_Prelude

Actually that's incorrect. Win2K is simply reserving precious physical RAM by swapping into virtual memory. I've clean installed W2K more times than I can remember and with unlimited memory it taps out at about 100 megs (depending on resources) after installing all the drivers, patches etc. In fact I'm doing one right now, after nothing added, it's used up 60 megs. When I'm done patching I'll post it again (this one has 256 megs of RAM)

13. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

To supplement on what's already been said about W2K's minimum consumption, you can have 10 instances of Mozilla or IE opened and have your entirely memory lot depleted. I hear people wanting to 'multitask' by having tons of browsers open, looking at pr0n no less. :o