Is this wrong for a parent to do?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Gonrad, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Gonrad

Gonrad OT Supporter

A step-mother sitting on her front step smoking, with her 19yr old step-daughter beside her, smoking as well.

Knowing full well the child's birth mother died of breast cancer a few years back.

This was my g/f btw. I hated the whole smoking thing. I managed to get her to quit as part of her new year's resolution.

Sadly I broke up with her just a week after new year's.

What bothered me was her step mom gave two shits. Her dad didn't do much about it either.

I mean, who the hell lets their child smoke? Drink, ok, I can tolerate that. A drink or two on special occasion or when you go out.

But smoking? I don't understand. Sure her mom dying of breast cancer isn't probablly related to smoking, but the whole cancer thing should scare the crap out of the person.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pretty hypocritical of you, if you ask me. What makes drinking different from smoking? At least smoking is legal.

At 19, she has the ability to choose. If she wants to smoke, let her.

3. Muses

Muses Guest

she's 19 she can smoke all she wants....who's gonna stop her?

4. Gonrad

Gonrad OT Supporter

I can honestly say that having a cigarette a day is hell of a lot worse then drinking alsochol, say, maybe once a week.

Giving someone the right to 'choose' to do whatever the want is ok, but as a parent, hell would have to freeze over before my child decides to take up smoking.

If they decide to take it up after they move out and become independent, well I can't control that, but at least I will instill in their brain that it's not right.

5. Gonrad

Gonrad OT Supporter

Er, her parents? They were strict as it is. She gets in trouble/grounded for coming home late even 10min whenever we went out. :ugh:

6. bait

bait New Member

if you can keep it down to one a day youre magical.

7. fearfactory

fearfactory New Member

Werd man, you dumped her (which is really the "worst" rational thing you could "do" to her). Maybe her parents refuse kick her out.

Maybe she sees smoking as validation of her independence.

Both of you sound stubborn as hell.

It's cool though. You did something about it instead of whining. Props.

8. Gonrad

Gonrad OT Supporter

No smoker can keep it down to one a day. :rofl:

Well, at least the g/f was honest enough to tell me when she did have a smoke. For the most part she kept off it.

Oh well, I hate it while with her, and even though I'm no longer with her, I wish she wouldn't do it or take it up a lot more in the future.

But oh well, guess it's her life. :sad2:

9. Gonrad

Gonrad OT Supporter

She used to be a casual smoker way before we started dating. I think she told me she took it up around 14yrs or 15yrs old.

She used to smoke more often just before we started dating and I always bugged her not to smoke.

When I did date her I didn't think about it (and she never smoked while we went out). But I saw her once a week so I was sure she smoked everyday that she wasn't with me.

As for stubborn, how can you get that from this post? I don't think she is stubborn and neither am I.

I didn't break up because she smoked. It was something else.

10. fearfactory

fearfactory New Member

My bad. I mistook you.

11. Balzak

Balzak New Member

I totally feel you on this...

12. Big Red

Big Red New Member

I am a smoker married to a non smoker, and yeah it bothers him but I am a big girl and there is nothing he can do about it. No one is perfect, everyone has their own little hangup. I suggest you get over it and quit being a baby about it.

13. dscallaway69

dscallaway69 New Member

I see nothing wrong with what her parents are doing. As a parent you have to understand your child is eventually old enough to make there own decisions. You can not stop anyone from doing anything if they want to do it. Yeah maybe the cancer thing does scare her but you know what it is her body and her life so don't worry about it.

14. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

you have no idea what the word means. hypocritical would be him saying smoking is bad and then going out and sucking down some tar and nicotine.

smoking is worse than drinking, that much is certain. both can be abused, both are legal. but smoking will give you cancer, reduce your lung capacity and make you stink. drinking can cause problems in large amounts but in moderation actually has one or two benefits.

15. Spaulding Smails

Spaulding Smails Real Estate Guru

smoking is far worse than drinking.....

16. UBERGAME

UBERGAME New Member

smoking is for fucking idiots. there are no benifits of smoking AT ALL. drinking you at least get drunk and can have a good time. but smoking is just fucking stupid.. i won't even look at a girl if she smokes and i would make my gf quit or i would dump her if she didn't