Is this worth detailing? Or is a new paintjob the only way to go...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by makemedie, Jan 5, 2008.

1. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

I'm 18, quite poor, saving up for 2nd year university next year while I attend 1st year university this year. Just got myself a 1990 Toyota Supra a few months ago, but it's time to give it some TLC.

I thought I'd take some general pictures of my car, with some detailed pictures showing what kinda stuff I can expect. I've never detailed before, but I'd rather spend my money learning how to detail than simply sending it in for a paint job. Willing to purchase the required stuff (I've been looking around, Meguiars stuff is available around here) if I can do something about it.

Possible Oxidation?

[​IMG]

Driver side door (we drive on the other side), horrible. I dont even know how to describe what's wrong with it, so I'll let you professionals see the photo and tell for yourself.

[​IMG]

Some fucktard etched something into the door. Another fucktard tried covering it up, and failed horribly.

[​IMG]

Driver side

[​IMG]

Roof, mind you, removable targa top, so that's why there's a rubber seal there. Not in the best of conditions.

[​IMG]

Bonnet, notice the edge? Vipers discolored in some areas.

[​IMG]

Hood, again notice the edges -

[​IMG]

Just a picture showing some decals coming off, im okay with having to remove them if I must.

[​IMG]

Hatch back, notice the plastic trim losing color -

[​IMG]

Aerial and spoiler -

[​IMG]

General Back, probably should've covered up my plates.. oh well -

[​IMG]

Scuff mark someone tried to cover up -

[​IMG]

General Tyre condition -

[​IMG]

I understand it's an old car and therefore wont be in the best of conditions, but I'd like to change that. Also, I got it for about $1500US, and it's only done 114,000km. So for what I paid and what I got, I thought it was a relatively good buy. Clearly the body is neglected a little, but age can do that.. err.. right?

So, advise? Should I even bother?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You polish it out, it will look a lot better. The detailing EDU should help you out a lot.

3. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Definitely needs a good wash/polish/wax. As for those wiper arms, a can of flat black spray paint and some sandpaper will work wonders on them. And definitely peel off the pin-striping.

4. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Mask around all of the trim, get some flat or sating black spray paint, and have at it. I did it on my old Jeep, and it worked wonders.

5. Original

Original OT Supporter

:werd: Or at least try to get the pieces off, it'll be easier. Don't half ass it. With a good prep and spray job you can make all that trim look new again. We've all been down that road.

Those wiper blades look just as aged as the wiper arms. Do they help in the rain at all? :o

Sucks, all the paint chips by the lock. :sadwavey:

A lot of work can be done with the paint. Besides the chipping, it has a lot of potential. It would take a lot of buffing though.

The pinstriping is horrid. Take it off :coold:

Any leaking issues with the top? Should probably just get a new seal.

6. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

Wiper blades work fine. Paint chips are unfixable? I've seen people "touch up" stuff, im guessing this is out of that reach?

I'll take the pin striping off when I actually do something about the paint. Oh and, top is perfect, no leaks whatsoever.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

man, if you're going to go forth with this (which you might as well, more pride in your ride!) go ahead and invest in the decent equipment. at least, you will have the proper care tools for a new car when you are able to move up in automobile.

if your going to drive it, it may as well be clean. look at it this way, you''l have gained the experience to maintain a new one when you get there!

this is in no way bashing your ride, but rather encouragement for you to go forth and learn.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

SUprised no one else has asked this...

Has the car been repainted, or the roof replaced?

Becuase the red in the center of the Toyota emblem is suspect. As is the reddish hue thats been transfered onto the trim on teh front and back of the targa tops rubber seal. Also the "possible oxydation" looks more like a bad paint blend where they did not prep properly, and the clearcoat is failing on teh leading edge. Also compare the window reflection on teh top of the cars roof, to the reflection of the top of the cars hood. The targa clearcoat is much brighter, smoother, and glassy. Where as the hood looks pitted, and weathered. And in reality, they should be jsut abotu equally worn.

I would do a complete VIN check on the car and make sure the thing was a Targa from the factory. Becuase alot of these signs are pointing to a choped and shut car. And i wouldnt want you driving somthing like that around on teh street.

Please check into it.

9. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

i think they did a good job if they did it at all :o theres no bubbling or rusting which would result from a shady shop doing it. and im sure that part of the car is put under plenty of stress in the turns, especially now that its a targer :o

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

How good the shop may have done the work, and how it handles in turns wont help your head from flying off if the car rolls, or prevent teh car from turning into a pile of aluminum foil should it get hit by anything substantial.

Most of the cut and shut car places do "good looking" work. THats kinda the whole point.

Please check into it.

11. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

The red emblems are normal. That's the way they all were on the Supras of that era. What you think is red on the trim around the top looks like dirty or faded trim to me.

12. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

Definately a targa from birth, this one. My dad works for Land Rover, so he's access to any car's past details etc. Everything's been checked, and everything matches indeed.

No offense taken at all dude. I completely understand. Besides, I got what I paid for. And, I've already decided I was going to invest in getting the right equipment anyway (already looking to see where I can find a UDM), because if I manage to learn how to do this stuff anyway, it'll be really good to earn some extra cash on the side, right?

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, really encouraging. :) I'll make sure I read the EDU and hit you guys up in the forum if I've got questions.

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:werd: this could be a good time for you to pop for a sub as well, so you can search the forum (/shameless OT plug) or you can just browse the pages. there is plenty of info here. and of course feel free to ask ?s!