A&P Is this why people eventually buy prime lenses?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by AmosBanks, Jan 18, 2010.

1. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

Would a prime lens or something with less range than my 18-135mm have a smaller amount of distortion at the edges?

[​IMG]

2. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Are you talking about the angle of the building/lamp? That's just the wide angle and your perspective, bro. A prime at the same focal length/angle would look the same.

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

well, the 18-135mm is known for it's distortion at both ends of the ranges, so it's not only a prime that would fix that, but just about any lens that doesn't distort...

4. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

No, people with too much time/money buy prime lenses.

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

you cant be serious...

6. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I love primes

7. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

8. Kappa00

Kappa00 Pizza

Gotta get a perspective control lens to fix the building/lamp.
    [​IMG]

9. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

Hi there! My name is Lindsay and I've just got a brand new camera for Christmas but haven't even taken it out of the box. I really want to get into the wedding photography business because I see so many people in Utah are getting married and it looks like easy money. I can't guarantee that even one photo will turn out looking good but I sure will try. Some pictures will be used for my portfolio and my future website. I start booking appointments this week! I am now booking for Spring and Summer of 2010.

I specialize in all types of Lifestyle photography including:

Weddings – You'll have to pay $15 for gas money outside of Salt Lake City
    Bridals
    Engagements
    Families
    Children
    Portraiture
    Fashion

My style is classy, elegant and artistic. I would be honored to be part of your special occasion or photography needs considering I have no professional experience. I would love to capture those beautiful moments for you and your family.

I have so much passion for being a pro wedding photographer! All my friends and family tell me I take great pictures at all our outings and picnics. I'm putting together a web site of all the flower pictures and sunsets I've taken so you can see how good I am. I even have a few pics of my pet dog which turned out really great!

But I don't have a business license, liability insurance, flashes, extra batteries, or even more than a kit lens that came in the box. If something goes wrong, you're out of luck. To keep things cheap for you, I won't even back up any of your images. Less cost for me means less cost for you. Just passing the savings on. I expect to be paid in cash or personal check because I don't plan on claiming this income on my taxes.

I know many fun and beautiful locations. I really care about making brides look beautiful! I add glow and selective color to all of my images, giving them the best look possible. No need to hassle with computer programs.

Bridals and Engagements are only $100. Please trust me to do your wedding. I'll do it cheap just to build up my portfolio. I will only charge you $250 for your entire wedding day. This is a deal. My camera cost me $700 brand new. All sessions include a Hi Resolution CD with FULL copy right release included, which means you get to print your pictures at Wal-Mart! Here's the BEST Part! I offer 100% guarantee on ALL my sessions! Don't pay a cent until you are 100% happy with your pictures!

I own a camera therefore I can take photos like the pros, who charge alot more. Most brides in Utah spend $2,500 on professional wedding photography. Since I have no experience I'll only be charging $250 (90% off regular wedding photography prices) to shoot full day wedding coverage.

Think about it: Pros charge alot of money because they have alot of expenses. I don't.

Pros have:
    -a business license
    - multiple cameras
    -thousands of dollars in lenses and flashes
    -hard drives to back up the images
    -insurance
    -experience
    -people skills
    -color calibrated monitors
    -professional print labs
    -professional albums

I have none of this stuff so we'll keep it cheap, just for you!

E-mail me if you want to set an appointment or if you have any questions, I will gladly respond.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

10. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

11. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

That same photo is on the wiki page for Tilt Shift Lens. I know that TS is the solution, but I wondered if maybe a 14-24mm would have less distortion since this photo was shot at 20mm. If not then at least I asked. Thanks OTAP!