SRS is this weird or am I weird?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Nov 21, 2006.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

It bothers me how, at parties, people tend to talk to one another for a few minutes at a time, then they break off the conversation, talk to someone else for a minute, then someone else, so on..... I do not see the point of having short, meaningless, conversations like this. What bothers me is that there is no benefit to this situation. Why do people do this? Just to socialize? Do people actually get joy from plain socialization?

It also bothers me how people have totally different attitudes and personalities the next time I see them after a party when we are both sober. I like to think that I remain fairly unchanged, while the other person has changed greatly.....it seems like their relationships with the outside world are only fueled by alcohol.

Now, at 18 years old, I am not new to the scene of social gatherings involving alcohol. These things have always bothered me some and I would really like to clear up if everyone see's it this way, or if only I do.

If everyone see's it this way, what the hell is wrong with people?

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I think a lot of people like to know that other people out there like em. By having quick, fun conversations with lots of different people they feel like they are wanted and approved of by everyone around them. This makes them feel safe and good about themselves. Plus they're opening themselves up to meet someone that they could potentially become very good friends with. edit: or go to bed with

Other people are happy just by themselves and a few close friends.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

first impression answer? They're all fishing. Most of these parties revolve around alcohol and getting laid, right? They are having short conversations to try to find if there is any spark/connection with that person.

Or they are trying to see if they can find a person to bed down with.

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Do you really expect people to have a deep meaningful talk in this setting ? I used to think that it's useless to have a small talk but hey, if you want to be a little happy, stop being so serious. We don't have to be meaningful and deep all the time, we can't be like that anyway. People are there to have fun, relax, get to know other people and have a nice talk with someone. You can't expect everyone to fulfill your expectations anyway, that's what chit-chat is about, discovering if you find them interesting. If you want to have a deep talk with someone, my guess is that you need to talk to a lot of people in a party before finding someone who wants to do that to !

5. mrchina

mrchina Guest

You're at a party. Chances are there are a lot of people who have different friends at such party. People want to get drunk and have a good time. I see nothing wrong with meaningless conversation. Lord knows I have no interest in deep talk at parties that I go to. That's what my college classes are for.

6. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

That, and short conversations give people a chance to "warm up" to you and over time, you're no longer a stranger, things get easier and all of a sudden, you're friends. Social engineering is wonderful...

The question is, can you do it when you're absolutely bored of people?