Is this upgrade worth the price?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GunboatDiplomat, Oct 15, 2006.

1. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

I'm about to do some video editing and I am considering upgrading my computer. I effectively have an unlimited budget but I would prefer to get the best bang for my buck. I'm also looking for a highly power efficient system since one of my goals is minimal noise. This is what I'm currently running:

Intel P4 3.0GHz HT processor
    Asus P5AD2 motherboard
    4 x 512 Corsair 533MHz RAM

What I'm looking to do is upgrade my processor and, hence, my motherboard. I'm also considering upgrading my memory to match but I may forgo this considering the costs. This is my tentative shopping list:

$399.99 CAD - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz 4MB L2 cache
    $184.99 CAD - Asus P5B-E

Possibly:

$299.99 CAD - Kingmax 2GB (2 x 1024MB) DDR2 800MHz

I already have:

Thermaltake CL-P0071 Sonic Tower fanless CPU cooler
    Antec Phantom 350W fanless power supply
    Asus EN7600GS fanless graphics card

If I put all this together, I will finally have my fanless system! ...except for the case fans, sadly. Luckily, they are 120mm fans and the most quiet moving things in my computer. This upgrade will cost me $885 CAD with the new RAM, $585 CAD without it.

What do you all think?
    Thank you...

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

I'm a bit worried about that power supply. I would get the Phantom 500 justtobe on the safe side.
    Asus doesn't mention the PSU requirements on their website for that card, however EVGA requires a 400w PSU for the same card although it also says the +12v rail needs 18A which that Phantom 350 does have.

The 500 comes with 4 SATA connections while the 350 only has 2, keep that in mind. Someone doing video editting I would suspect would want tons of HDD space, maybe even a RAID set up to drives.

The 500 $20 more and you said say the budget isn't an issue.

As for the RAM, I don't know muchabout Kingmax but I do know that OCZ is very good. For $25 more you can get this OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Platinum XTC 2GB (2x1024MB) Dual Channel Kit (OCZ2P8002GK). There is/was a $25 rebate but that expires 10/15/06 which is today.

Check out TigerDirect.com http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati..._slc.asp?CatId=802&Nav=|c:494|&Sort=3&Recs=10
    Listed among those is a set of 5 fans from Ultra that are rated to be 26.5dBa (30dBa is said to be a whisper) and the set goes for $26CAD (for those in the USA it's $20USD). And they push 63.5CFM of air which seems pretty good all in all.

3. GunboatDiplomat

Yeah, I know what you mean but the Core 2 Duo uses about half the power of my P4 and I'm running my current system with a 350W power supply, so my hope is that it will all be okay...

It'll be safe but the 500 isn't really fanless (damn dirty lies!), as is my dream. Plus, most SATA drives (at least, for now) can take both types of connections, so that's not my immediate worry.

A RAID might be nice but I won't be making one...

I was wondering about this. How can RAM be good or bad? It either works or it doesn't, right? If it's rated at 800MHz then that's what it'll do, right?

I'll keep these in mind. I already have two 120mm fans and my case only has two vents, so these should last me a while!

Thanks...

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

True RAM does either work or not, but the better the quality the RAM the more reliable.

Last year I got my folks to buy some Corsair value RAM, the same stuff that if you go to newegg you'll see tons of good user reviews. 2x512MB PC3200. At first it seemed ok, then when games were crashing left and right I finally did a memory test with memtest86+ and found out that there was about 20-30 errors. So we sent it back for a replacements. This time the first thing I did was run memtest, and this time still within the first pass and in test #6 there was 27,000 errors (and no that is not a typo).
    Sent that back for a refund and bought some Kingston HyperX of the same kind of kit and no problems at all.

I'm not saying all Corsair is bad, I'm sure their high end RAM is good and well tested before it's giving to retailers.

All I'm saying is that for me personally I don't know Kingmax RAM. OCZ I do know, although not from first hand experience, but in all respects is a highly rated brand of RAM.

The only other thing I will say is that Asus usually has a page where they list what brands and specs of RAM they test with each mobo. Read that and see what they say.
    As far as I know Kingston has always been on the lists and passed with flying colors.

Trying to go for a completely slient PC, huh?

5. GunboatDiplomat

Yeah, I'm going for the gold! I hope it works out. It's just that I have a P4 so I'm a little tired of computer fans, especially the processor...