is this too much

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by knight42, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

For the past couple months I have changed up my routine to encorporate a lot more cardio and swimming as I am joining the Navy and going to do BUD's to become a SEAL. I have read I should drop the weights and stick to body weight exercises but I like lifting too much and feel I should be able to do both, however I feel like it is making my progress slower in both things, lifting and cardio. Ever since I upped the cardio I have upped my calories and carb intake a lot and I get plenty of sleep but I'm starting to feel a little burnt out and I'm not sure if I'm over doing it or not and wanted to hear some opinions and hopefully some ideas to better my routine. I dont know much about running but I feel like there should be a better program then what I do. Like should I have speed days where I do sprints or something?

So I'm 6'5" and have slimmed down to just under 230. My estimated 1rm are 380 squat / 280 bench / 470 dead / and 175 SOHP. My 500 yard swim using a breast stroke I average about 8 min 50 sec and a mile breast about 32 mins. I can keep a 7 min 15 sec pace running over 5 miles, haven't timed myself anything longer than that and shorter distances like 2 miles about 6:30 min pace.

Right now my main goal is to become a better runner but I would prefer to not sacrifice getting stronger. Already I am having problems with my squat day, I'm either way fatigued for squats or my runs the following days are too slow cause my legs don't wanna move. I've adjusted by changing from wide stance to parallel to a closer stance, hammy to calves type squat usually not doing more than 225. last few weeks been breaking away from 5/3/1 just for squats.

I am on week 7 of this program for running and it has an accompaning situp/pushup/pullup routine that I do in the AM, and doing the 5/3/1 workout in the evening.

Schedule 1

Weeks # 1, 2
    2 miles, 8:30 pace
    M/W/F

Week # 3
    No running.*

Week # 4
    3 miles
    M/W/F

Weeks # 5, 6
    2/3/4/2 miles
    M/Tu/Th/F

Weeks # 7, 8, 9
    4/4/5/3 miles
    M/Tu/Th/F

Schedule 2

Weeks # 1, 2
    (3/5/4/5/2) miles
    M/Tu/Th/F/Sa

Weeks # 3, 4
    (4/5/6/4/3) miles
    M/Tu/Th/F/Sa

Week # 5
    (5/5/6/4/4) miles
    M/Tu/Th/F/Sa

Week # 6
    (5/6/6/6/4) miles
    M/Tu/Th/F/Sa

Week # 7
    (6/6/6/6/6) miles
    M/Tu/Th/F/Sa

So here was my Monday workout let me know what you think:

AM
    jump rope warm up and stretch
    .5 mi warm up jog
    4 mile timed run - 30:14 ~ freezing outside
    6 sets of 30 pushups
    6 sets of 30 situps
    2 sets of 10 pullups

PM
    SOHP
    Barx10
    65x5
    85x5
    Working sets
    120x3
    130x3
    145x6

Standing DB press
    40x15
    50x15
    60x15

DB rev fly
    15x15x3

BW pullups all the way down
    10 sets of 5

BW dips
    5 sets of 15

15 mins on stairmaster at levl 5 (about a mile walk, enough time for my arms to loosen back up before I swim)

500 Yard swim breast stroke 8:56
    500 more yards breast stroke slower pace - 9.25
    500 yards side stroke - 12.30(still learning)

1760 yards = 1 mile for reference

edit* lookin over this workout it didn't seem too hard but deadlift and squat days definately take a toll on me with all the running included

2. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Priorities. Set them.

3. .::Rotten Apple::.

.::Rotten Apple::. OT Supporter

Yeah for BUD/S swimming and running are the most important things so you should definitely focus on those. However upper body strength comes into play a lot too with log and IBS lifts. Not to mention the O Course. I guess you could start cutting back on weight for your legs and increase reps to make up for it. When are you joining up? And how long will your wait time be for BUD/S?

4. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

I'm just starting the process now so I am not yet sure on the wait time but hopefully it won't be too long. I already feel conditioned enough but I would like to join in as good as shape as possible. Basic sounds like I will lose some conditioning because it's too easy.

Do you have any experience in this? I'm not too worried about strength for the log or IBS. If anything I should be better at pullups, losing some more weight will help with that too.

5. LowClass

LowClass New Member

Good job, hope you can stick it out! Do what you need to get your mind prepared as well. Hopefully you wont get the winter class if you are signing up now.

6. Bodhi

Bodhi My crotch is red .. my lambos blue .. and ill be g

this guy is elite .. post pics

cause we know you're lance armstrong now .. i want sheryl crow nudes NOW

7. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

any input on the routine? would like to hear some suggestions for the running/swimming since i've never followed any sort or routine for that before.

I was thinking of cutting the cardio way back on the 5/3/1 week and stepping it up on the recovery week maybe? Or maybe doing sprints and stuff on the 5/3/1 week and take it easy on everything during the deload.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.